Re: OT:College Dorm Loft Plan

Hi all,

>Anyone have plans for building a loft that I could get from them? >My daughter is starting college this fall and I would like to build >one for her. > >Thanks, >Chris >

I know exactly what you are looking for, I built one for my daughter several years ago. I based its dimensions on the size of a single mattress and started by building a box out of 3/4" melamine board that the mattress would fit into keeping the sides at least 6" higher than the mattress so she couldn't roll out. Next I built a wardrobe unit to support the one end of the box that had 2 doors and a hanging rod on the inside for clothes, the wardrobe was approx. 24" deep 40" wide and

60" tall. The head end of the box was supported by a panel 40" wide 3/4" thick and 60" tall. Next I built a writing/typing top that fastened between the panel and wardrobe unit . The biggest problem I had was figuring out a way for her to get up into the bed, the solution I came up with was to build a ladder out of oak (laminated white) and rungs made out of 2" PVC pipe, then I screwed the entire unit to the side of the wardrobe. I have pictures of the bed somewhere that my wife will dig up if you need or want to see them, of course being a draftsman in a cabinet shop made the whole process easier but it would be easy for anyone to build at home in a garage.. Hope this helps..... T
Reply to
Tdaddy