Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Drilling a pritchel hole in a old anvil
Anyone ever try to drill a pritchel hole in an old anvil which doesn't have one? I'm looking for options for doing that. I've got an old 1820's Mouse Hole Forge anvil without a pritchel hole which I'm...
27
27

hot dip galvanizing
Been reading up on this recently as a means of rustproofing some of my projects. Seems to be as simple as an acid pickle, dip in washing soda to kill the acid, then straight into a pot of molten zinc...
3
3

Electrolytic Derusting, Baking Soda or Washing Soda?
I promise that this is my last epistle about electrolytic derusting. It's just that I never could find out how much better Washing Soda is than Baking Soda as the electrolyte for this process. So I...
7
7

How to get started in blacksmithing
Every now and then, I post a message to folks who may be monitoring this newsgroup and are wondering how to get started in blacksmithing. To that end, I would dig around for that old post, sometimes...

What is a 200 lb anvil worth has ACME name on it?
What is a 200 lb anvil worth has ACME name on it? Good condition. Thinking about selling to buy another more transportable.
3
3

About fire striker shapes
A really good blacksmith from Northwood Iowa is Dave Hartwig. About 10 years ago he made a presentation about his research into different shapes of fire strikers, strike-a-lights or whatever you call...
3
3

A brand New Treadle Hammer Design
Here's a treadle hammer designed for woodcarvers: Go to the bottom of this page to see the new entry----- You will see a couple of interesting links there, too. We attended a conference there in, I...
1
1

FA-Home Shop Machinist magazines - 8 Years of them
September 2000 through December 2008, all issues in excellent condition. See my ad on ebay at: Jeff

2 nails 3 black spring washers
Hi Guys, I've done a little more playing. This is 2 steel nails and 3 black spring washers. I aligned 2 nails and 2 straightened black spring washers, wired, fluxed, forge welded, and squared the...
17
17

Drilling larger holes without harming yourself
Ever wind yourself up in the electric drill when drilling a big (over 1/2") hole in metal? I sure did when I had to drill out some 5/8" holes out to 3/4" in the underside of my broken tractor. I just...

FA-Machinist's Workshop Magazines. 2001 to 2008
August 2000 through January 2009, all issues in excellent condition. See my ad on ebay at:

Make a Miner's Lamp?
If you'd like to try your hand at a Miner's Lamp, go here: I like demonstrating this project to the public, because it is one of many things one can do that show the extreme shape changes that the...
3
3

I'm Selling my Blacksmithing Books
Hello All, I quit blacksmithing in 1988 when my shoulder gave out from the hammering. Finally, in December 2006, I stopped publishing Blacksmith's Gazette. Now, I've finally decided to start getting...
1
1

Electrolytic Rust Removal page is up
Thanks for your input, guys. I just put the page up: Stanaitis This is my short page about electrolytic derusting. I've got some before and after pix and a few notes that may have escaped some...
3
3

Electrolytic rust removal
I know there's a lot about this subject on the net, but would anyone be interested in my own recent work with it? I've got some before and after pix and a few notes that may have excaped some readers....
4
4