Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Self centering scriber for marking metal bars
Here's a link to a neat little tool you can make. You just lay in on top of a bar, let's say 3/4" square, and draw it along the surface, holding the legs firmly against the sides of the stock. Even...
1
1

offsetting problem
I can't. I am usually working with round or square less than 1" x 30". All I end up doing is bending the piece where I am attempting to offset it. I beat the piece on its end, on top of the anvil. I...
8
8

New to Blacksmithing? Start here
New folks should visit the ABANA website so they can look up their closest affiliate (chapter). Personally, I am happy to answer a new person whenever I can help, but let me say this again: The VERY...

Help interpret "3 10" mark of Peter Wright
A Peter Wright anvil followed me home today. It has a round logo Peter Wright Solid Wrought or some such. Inside the logo there is a big, prominent number 3 stamped. To the right of the logo there is...
7
7

Why did YOU get into blacksmithing?
Again, just a thought to keep the newsgroup going----- People get into blacksmithing for many reasons; what's yours? I got into blacksmithing as a hobby farmer in about 1985. I had worked with my...
3
3

drag bits, step drag bits, chevron drag bits, API Reg thread drag bits, API IF thread drag bits, Arod thread drag bits, Nrod thread drag bits, 2-wings drag bits, 3-wings drag bits, 4-wings drag bits, carbide drag bits, PDC drag bits, clay bits
drag bits step drag bits chevron drag bits API Reg thread drag bits API IF thread drag bits Arod thread drag bits Nrod thread drag bits 2wings drag bits 3wings drag bits 4wings drag bits carbide drag...

Yeah it works :-)
A black spring washer plus a large steel nail, insta-knife. Two black spring washers, plus 2 large steel nails, arranged into a square (end on), twist, one fold, heat treat and dump in acid on friday...
20
20

pewter casting page
I sent this page out to members of my e-zine last week. It is a project I did making some pewter rings with investment casting. Here is the link for it. D...
1
1

Drawing Program for Scrolls
Does anybody have a program that draws scrolls automatically? As in: tell the program the style you want, the space limitations and the number of coils, for instance. I have one that I did with an...
3
3

Gas Forge and Propane
There is only one type of gas forge for the blacksmith. It is the kind that I have. I didn't invent it; Hans Peot did. Just today I compiled everything that I could about that forge and more gas forge...
1
1

Blacksmoth mandrels
In the pile of things that I bought with the Peter Wright anvil, I have two mandrels: second mandrel is basically a cone with a 5/16" steel plate welded to it. Anyway. I use this anvil mostly for...

Blacksmithing-related crossword puzzles, anybody?
I wouldn't bother with this, except that the list is sooo quiet again. I just added 4 crossword puzzles to my website They are all on-topic. Pete Stanaitis

8 pound single jack?
What do you think? :) Got a heavier one? :) I bought a Warwood 8 pound sledge at the second hand store. The handle was "used-up" and an obvious replacement too. So I cut the bottom of the handle off...
2
2

Making a 'C' clamp
If one wished to make a 12" 'C' Clamp by bending (say 2"x5/8" strap) in to a 'C', with a threaded cylinder welded to one end, how does one temper it. Bright Cherry red, and then bury it in a bucket of...
9
9

The skills that a "blacksmith" need to possess
Some years ago the Appalachian Area Blacksmiths Association, an ABANA affiliate, developed a "job description" for a Journeyman Blacksmith. It was subsequently registered with the US dept of Labor...
1
1