Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How do I learn blacksmithing, or more about it, etc..?
I guess it's time, once again, to post my response to the subject question. Here is the question and the response I just sent: -------------------------------------------------------- On Sat Feb 21...

Repairing an anvil top by means of welding
Someone sold me today a junk anvil for $10 that weighs about 100 lbs, and has a piece of top tool steel plate missing. The missing piece is, I would estimate, about 2x3 inches and 1/2" thick. I would...
8
8

Keeping an anvil outside
I am considering keeping a small 140 lbs Peter Wright anvil outside. What would be a good way to prevent it from rusting? LPS-3 perhaps?
10
10

Ken-Tool tire-iron (spoon)
Anybody here fix their own flats? :) Am I the only one crazy or just plain stupid enough to do that? :/ Anyway I was thinking about doing a little black smithing on one of my tire irons. A couple of...
2
2

A couple of nice medival treaure chest pictures
I know that any of you who wanted to have already visited my Tom Latane' Gothic Chest project page, but--- I recently updated it with pictures of the chests that two of the other students made. They...

any navy foundry men here?? (ML or PM)
I had the fortune of being able to attend the US NAVY foundry school in SAN DIEGO in 1990. The ratings, school, ships and duty stations are all gone, but the spirit and knowlege of what I learned...
1
1

railroad track anvils and my wife.....
What can I say, I try and do my BS projects casually. When the mood strikes me, or I see a good piece of "roadkill" (scrap metal tools and other junk people discard) . But my wife has grown weary of...
2
2

thanks chilla
Thanks for the bellows info...
1
1

Lost Foam Casting: Plaque
I sent this new page out to my e-zine subscribers a few weeks ago and thought I would share it here too. Sign up for the e-zine if you would Like to be updated on my new projects. mostly metal...
1
1

Railroad track anvil, anybody?
Now that the HF 110# steel anvil seems to be gone, maybe it's time to think about other sources for inexpensive "starter" anvils. I've been saving up railroad track chunks for some time, waiting for...
15
15

Hf 110# anvil gone?
It appears that Harbor Frieght no longer sells the 110# (50kg) steel (not cast iron)anvil. I don't see it anymore in the catalogs and the 2 stores I frequent don't have it either. Anybody else have...
4
4

I'm going to make a small forge.
Having been royally p*ssed off with the Whisper Momma, I'm going to construct a small forge for the purposes of forge welding. Tiny in fact, although I'm going to make a stand for it at a reasonable...
4
4

bellows
One of the things keeping me from forging/heat treating is laziness, but the other is lack of a decent bellows....okay okay, I need to drawfile my spike anvil too. The problem with a bellows/blower...
9
9

Anvil silencing
Ignoramus16228 wrote in > > Anyone has a good suggestion to reduce ringing? Stick a rag into the > hardie hole? Put a female tit on the heel? How about tying leather/rope around the anvil waist ?...
19
19

Pictures -- made a mini forge today
This is a mini forge that I made out of six firebricks. It is usable to me for the little things that I am trying to do. The nice thing about it is that it is portable and inexpensive and allows me to...
25
25