Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Manual of Steel Construction (1988)
Manual of Steel Construction (1988) By The American Institute of Steel Construction Additional information and photos of this book are available on this page: Description: American Institute of Steel...

Another Tom Latane" workshop completed
I just returned from a 3 day workshop with Tom Latane'. This one was to teach us how to make a key lock for the 15/16th century chest that many of us have been working on. Tom retains his reputation...
4
4

Tool for ID stamp on blades
Good morning to the group. Thanks to all for the input on etching solutions for my damascus. All is going well. My new question is can anyone provide me with a source to get a ID or trademark stamp...
2
2

Sargent Blank Keys
I have about 100 pinned Sargent cylinders and cores with keyways such as KA, KB, KC and KE. A group of 50 of these are keyed/pinned but use an undetermined keyway. Is there a KD keyway? I also have 50...
1
1

Pure Iron source (rod or bar) needed (USA)
I'm looking for a few feet of at least 99.5% pure iron rod or bar, any size from at least 1/4" square or round, but not over 1/2" thick. I need it for element collectors looking for pure samples of...
5
5

Warner wheel hubs
Hi all. I'm scrambling to help a friend finish up a buggy restoration. We're short a "Warner" hub. Does anyone have any information about their manufacture? I don't seem to be able to scare up much of...
6
6

Blacksmith Day 24/5 2008!
Hi All good and important days to be remembered got its day in the calendar. Last year, close to Valentine's Day, members of Antracit Blacksmith Portal hand forged roses to their wife's and...

Etchung Solutions for Damascus
Good day folks! I'm new to this news group and trying to get some information. I have been working a coal fired, hand cranked forge for about 6 years. Recently I have bowed to local pressure to make...
7
7

Homebrew Forge link?
Several years ago, I ran across [on another machine] a web site that had directions for building a forge from a used Freon container. Does anyone still have that URL? While I don't have a Freon bottle...
5
5

BAM conference
I just returned from the BAM (Blacksmith Association of Missouri) conference in Sedalia, MO, about 8 miles east of Kansas City MO. It was a great conference. I don't know how many people attended, but...

Call for Entries: Attention: Jewelers, Metalsmiths, Blacksmiths and Metal Sculptors
METAL Inclinations An International Juried Digital Exhibition Debuts World Wide on the Internet October 31, 2008 through October 31, 2009 Deadline, June 30, 2008 For a complete prospectus go to: The...

Was skills for blacksmithing, Now Boy Scouts and blacksmithing
The current president of the Guild of Metalsmiths, Rich Herman has made local (eastern Minnesota) Boy Scouts quite aware of blacksmithing. Last year (or the year before) he was one of a group that set...
1
1

What it takes to be a blacksmith
I feel compelled, again, to say sorthing in "blacksmithing". if anyone is interested, I wrote an article, based on this skill set, that discusses ways that folks might apply this tool to their own...
8
8

Apr 12 test
ASDF asdf sdfg ** Posted from **
4
4

Upsetting 1/4 in dia. rod
The only method I can think of is to get a 30" tall piece of 2" pipe and fill it with water, so when I heat a piece of 1/4" dia rod (28 inches long) to upset, I can hold it by the hot end and quench...
18
18