Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

power hammer tooling?
Gday all, I was reading the Hammer's Blow, spring 2007 editing today, the article about power hammer tooling. One tool mentioned and pictured was a "snapper". Can someone explain this tool, its uses,...
4
4

Right To Work
" I disagree that unions are good for America. The steel industries, the auto industries - have all left America, in large part due to influence of unions" I tend to think that the industries left...
4
4

Lube/ grease for Champion hand crank?
I have a Champion blower that's in nice shape externally, the gears seem to be in fine shape, but the bearings, especially on the fan-shaft are pretty beat (+/- 1/8" of slop). Because of that it's...
16
16

Building a Coal forge - input appreciated.
Hello all- As payment for one of the knives I made, I've got the services of a very talented welder to help me make a new forge from the ground up. While it can be a simple job, I think I want it to...
20
20

Ebay Anvil: Worth it?
Hello all: I'm bidding on this eBay anvil. I was outbid. I'm thinking of bidding again. To me, it looks like it's in really good condition. Opinions? - No, I'm not actually the anvil owner in disguise...
14
14

Where to get 1/4" square mild steel?
Many people use 1/4" square rod for lots of projects like nails, S-hooks, kitchen tools, etc., etc. Most would like to use hot rolled mild steel for this application, but it is pretty hard to find in...
12
12

Re: 100 Years
that's why i have been signing and dating my work for the last 35 years. have fun, mark

Learning to be a Farrier/Blacksmith in Louisiana?
I would like to know if there is anywhere one can learn to become a farrier/blacksmith in Louisiana? I like animals and the idea of metal working going hand in hand for the benefit and health of the...
4
4

TV Blacksmithing
. . . since there seemed to be quite an interest last year when I posted info about this, I repost now. I have no association with either RFD, the school, or Mr. Rogers. So I am not hustling. I hope...
7
7

MSDS for 20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster

A fairly basic pattern-welding question
Hello all, I decided to try my hand at making some damascus-style pattern welded knife blanks, and it's working more or less all right. Just a couple of quick questions for those of you who have done...
23
23

Pattern Ideas
A Google alert found my inbox this morning with a delicious PDF of all sorts of ironwork ideas: some of the plans are for the truly industrious (gates, park benches, sundials, etc.) some of the n00bs...
4
4

"How to Set Up and Use a Treadle Hammer" video - anyone seen it?
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on this video produced by Jere Kirkpatrick's Valley Forge and Welding. Is it of good quality? Does it focus more on tooling, techniques or setup? Is...
1
1

power hammer conversion
my wife is a blacksmith and we bought her a "strike" hammer from a metal worker who did mostly cold work and specialized in architectural metal work, mostly fabrication. he seemed to think it would be...
1
1

Water and coke
I've run across stuff that seems to say that water is helpful in the coking process, but it was a little heavy on the particulars of the chemistry and I got lost in it. Can it be explained in somewhat...
2
2