Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

ALERT: Boeing Surplus Store closing
This alert just came over a mailing list I'm on. For us nerds, the closing of the Boeing store would be a calamity of major proportions. This store is a national treasure. Please spread this message...
1
1

Anyone in NSW?
Anyone in NSW? Regards Charles
3
3

Tempering quench recipe
Caught a 'trailer' on a RFD channel horse show. It showed a blacksmith, (Dave Kramer) making a 'bow pin' out of 1/4" round stock. A bow pin is used to hold the bow on an oxen yoke up in place. More or...
18
18

Staff weapon
Hi Guys, Like this ? Regards Charles
8
8

Mystery tool
My sister sent me this picture: don't know what the bottom looks like. Any clues what it was for? I'm stumped. - C http://c-66-30-237-241.hsd1.ma.comcast.net/Whatzit2.jpg
7
7

Foot powered forge blower?
I am looking for a picture or drawings for a foot powered forge blower. When in Prague in 1999 we saw one at a festival in the old town area, but I didn't get a picture of it. The blacksmith's forge...
9
9

Recent Coal Quality
The coal I learned on was Pocahontas. It gave a clean fire and just a little white ash, we could run the forge for six to eight hours before having a clinker problem. We recently purchased from that...
3
3

alternative fuel sources for forge
I'm toying with the idea of using liquid fuel as the power source on a propane-style[1] forge. (just 'cos I can - no real need for it). three options so far I've seen: a paraffin (kerosene) powered...
2
2

A Loss to the craft
copy of an e-mail sent by a friend , The deceased was a fine man who taught me and many others something every time we got together. Many of you may know that Patrick died on Sunday evening. The...

Knifemaking machines
I have 2 knifemaking grinding/sanding/polishing machines for sale. They resemble the Stephen Bader machines and were hand built by my husband. He has passed away and I would like to sell these...
2
2

What fuel
From time to time I find I need to heat a bit of metal up rather more thoroughly than I can manage with a blowtorch. Being an adventurous sort I thought I'd make a tiny hearth, probably similar to...
7
7

information
hi all just wanted to let you know of a very useful site that i have found and used. If has 1000's of specifications, photos, documents and videos of machine tools. It abllows you to search on alot of...

Calculating the BTU output of a torch, or single hole orifice.
Calculating the BTU output of a torch, or single hole orifice. BTU output is the number of cubic feet of gas coming through an orifice, times the number of BTU's per cubic foot over time. Cubic feet...

"glue" for insulated fire bricks?
Not only are some of mine broken but it'd be cool to "glue" them together to make a shape that doesn't involve simple stacking. Got any ideas? :) Alvin in AZ
7
7

September Metalsmithing Workshops in Peoria, Illinois
The Sun Foundation for the Adavancement of the Arts and Sciences and the Illinois Valley Blacksmithing Association with hold their annual fall Blacksmithing Workshops from September 8-30, 2007 just...