Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

FS:(in England) Goliath Power Hammer
I have a Goliath 60 lb power hammer here in England in good working order sadly for sale due to an aborted house move. Obtained all ready for my move to a larger site after years of searching, and...

Charcoal v Coal
Hello Collective The are many benefits to reducing ones carbon footprint and becoming more eco-friendly. I would like to do everything I can to be as close to the ideal as possible. My thoughts are...
8
8

Is there anybody out there?
Doesn't anyone use this newsgroup anymore? I haven't seen a new message on here in almost a year.
2
2

Handedness in Tongs
What's the big deal about whether tongs are right- or left-handed? I've read any number of 'recipes' for making tongs and many of them get very specific about "handedness", i.e. whether the left-side...
2
2

Hand held air hammers
Hi all, I am looking for a hand-held air hammer for repousse work on 1mm copper. Please could anybody recommend a model/brand that would be suitable for this? I guess I'm looking for something with a...
14
14

Conan the barbarian's' knife maker wanna bees?
When demonstrating to the public, I an often asked if I shoe horses (I don't) or am told that the "I want to learn just enough blacksmithing so I can make a sword", as mentioned in a recent post. Many...
3
3

Home built gas burner question
Hello all. I am going to build my own forging studio and I have a question about home built gas burners. I have a copy of Michael Porter's book Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces & Kilns. All the burner...
20
20

setting up a forge
Hi i just recently went to a blacksmithing "camp" for 2 days where i turned a "railroad" spike(was actually an abandoned mine track spike) and made a pretty nice dagger out of it. The website for the...
33
33

Knife with apricot
I think it looks pretty good. The apricot has a lot a character and I really need to learn how to take better pictures to show off stuff like that. I've got another coat or 2 of oil to put on the...
29
29

New, lower prices!!! Machined TUFA silver and gold casting molds!
Please look at our revamped website at and at our new price schedule on Our TUFA carved 2 1/2 D casting molds are cheaper than ever when purchased in quantities of 2 or more! Thanks, Andrew Jonathan...
1
1

power hammer which one???????
looking to buy a new hammer, but i live in perth west australia and it is very hard to find any thing here . i saw the big blu 155 looks like it will do the job any one got some input on this one???...
5
5

Design in Structural Steel (1960)
Design in Structural Steel (1960) John E Lothers Professor of Architectural Engineering College of Engineering Oklahoma State University Additional information and photo(s) of the item are available...

Need blacksmith-made puzzle
I am looking for a puzzle design that a blacksmith could make during demonstrations to the public. I don't want to make the type that are bent up from wire. They are all fine puzzles, but I want some...
9
9

Building a heat treating oven
For anyone who may be in the planning stages or just curious here is something I ran across that might be handy. It looks as though it might be scaled-up as well. in nca
4
4

Burner adjustment
As the rigidizer dries in my first forge, I am anticipating about adjusting the Zoeller sidedraft propane burner. Seems like there are alot of variables, but Mr. Zoeller did mention the 'sound'....
2
2