Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Building a coal forge - material question
Hello all, While my gas forge is very nice, and does the job well, I am discovering that using it is just way, way too hot for the summertime, even with vent fans right above it- it's like pointing a...
9
9

Introducing AAICA LLC
To all silversmiths and whitesmiths: I am proudly announcing the debut of my company, AAICA LLC! At the present time, AAICA's main product involves working with TUFA as casting aid for casting silver,...

Inherited post vise
I'm missing the floor plate that the vise sockets into, I've never seen one at any of the auctions I've been to, so have no Idea of external dimensions needed. Could anyone supply same from theirs?...
7
7

Electric forge blower source
Every dead gas hot water heater has a nice little blower in it. A friend tells me that he simply goes to stores that sell new water heaters and asks to be allowed to either take the blower out or to...
18
18

Power Hammer Questions
Concerning homemade power hammers (rocking beam types), how does the lenght of the stroke relate to the weight of the shaft and head? For instance, on a 25 total weight hammer, would a stroke of 12...
2
2

Book Review: Ironwork: Dynamic Details by Dona Z. Meilach
I received a copy of this new book after I had ceased publication of Blacksmith's Gazette with the December 2006 issue. At the time it came in, I was extremely busy and set the book aside. I just...

Finding Tools
I'm fresh from my intro blacksmithing course at Peters Valley ( the smithy bug has bitten deep. Thanks to the news group, I'll shop around for a tiny farrier's forge (figure I'll only be beating on...
25
25

Harbour freight Gas welding kit advice
Hello I would like some advice on the gas welding kit that is available form harbor freight. Can some one tell me if it is good or bad. Thanks link I want to be able to do wrapping and so this looks...
2
2

FA Huntings Art of Horse Shoeing farriery farrier 1922
The Art of Horse-Shoeing by William Hunting , 1922, slight wear to extremities,foxing to blank endpapers,otherwise a very nice copy.223 pages Regarded as the best and most comprehensive book of it's...

GAS FORGE ???????
I am starting to make a gas forge. I have a gas tank (C0 2) bottom that I am going to use. The dimensions are 7 3/4" dia by 12". What I need to know is that, 1--do I need a hole in the back end....
7
7

Repost about 'rigidizer'
. . . sorry the first post didn't appear. I'm just finishing my first propane forge made from a 5 gallon can. I modified it slightly so it is no longer a cylinder, but is now a vaulted arch. The floor...
11
11

Is 'regidizer' necessary ?
I'm just finishing my first propane forge made from a 5 gallon can. I modified it slightly so it is no longer a cylinder, but is now a vaulted arch. The floor consists of two -1" layers of kaolin with...
9
9

Making an anvil
I'm planning on building a propane forge and am wanting an anvil. I'm just starting in all this and know nothing. Being poor buying a new anvil is out of the question and I'm not wanting to wait till...
25
25

New product review- Leg Vise
Propane Powered Leg Vise, A New-Product Review by Pete Stanaitis Imagine my surprise when I saw an ad for the PPLV in a popular Farrier?s newsletter recently! I contacted the manufactures for...
9
9

Power shear question
Hello all- Now, I know a *real* blacksmith would never use one, but luckily, I don't have too many pretentions in that regard. Here's the question, and I suspect it's simple enough- I've got an old...
13
13