Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Has anyone seen a press like this.
I have just bought a horizontal press picture in anyone tell me what it actually is. I bought it as a fly press and now can see that it is not a fly press. Sight unseen at a very good price. I am sure...
17
17

Treadle hammers
Hello All I am planning on building a treadle hammer. I have go the clay Spencer plans and have had a good look at them as a starting point. I have built a small power hammer. got a 150mm diameter...
17
17

Power hammer - a little one this time
Hey! I have posted another vid. I just can't stop. Check it out. I guess I should tell you all that it is going for sale and that I want smiths to have a crack at it. I feel the need now so that I can...
11
11

Well, now I've done it.
Emptied out the shed today to make it into a dedicated blacksmithing shop. I was in the garage, which is actually bigger- but it is underground, hard to vent properly without opening the big door, and...
10
10

Question from a non blacksmith
I wish I was a blacksmith but its not in the cards right now. However, I have a need for some hand held hooks to move sacks of coffee. The guys in the warehouse use what looks like a home made hook...
4
4

more post vise
"Most" post vises are wrought iron .But iron of any type prefers heat when bending,makes the molecular structure feel so much better. Paddy P the wannabe
1
1

S7 question
Hello all, I have been racking my brain for about a week and a half, trying to think of the alternate designation for S7 steel I *thought* I had heard of and recognized. Anyone know if the stuff has...
5
5

More post vise?
I'm getting ready to build a frame to mount my post vise to. My post vise has a bent leg. Not bad, and I could live with it. But if it is easy to straighten (preferably without heat), I would like to...
3
3

Post leg vice
Hello New to the group. I have been lurking for a week or two. I am teaching myself a bit of blacksmithing as a hobby. I managed to score a postleg vice this morning. It is a bit of a mess covered...
19
19

Where to find Eye Drifts for Axes
I went to a forge welding class and got the bug to make a new axe for knocking over trees. I'm looking for some leads to find sources of drifts for making the eye in a tree falling axe. Does anyone...
8
8

FA Smiths Work Blacksmith Craft manual 1899
Smiths Work by Paul Hasluck,1899 boards a little discoloured,otherwise VGC 160 pages. Superb old Blacksmiths manual ,extremely thorough. Amazing period illustrations!
1
1

On flaws
Hello all, This is from the woodturning group, but I feel it's appropriate to blacksmiting as well. Quite a while ago, I recall a person (and I cannot remember whom) saying to me (paraphrased): "It...
2
2

Anyone know how to track down information on old tools?
Hello all, I know this isn't strictly blacksmithing, but the metalworking group seems pretty dead. My dad gave me an old, old metal shear this afternoon, and I'm fairly consumed with curiosity about...
7
7

Anyang power hammers
Hi, Has anyone in the group personal experiance of the Anyang Power Hammers, and if so which model and comments would be appreciated. Anyone in the UK got one set up and seeable? AWEM
2
2

Power hammer
Hey guys, I posted a video of the hammer I am selling. Click the link and then have fun making fun of me smacking the dies together at the beginning of the video. I wasn't used to the radius of the...
1
1