Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Selling some power hammers
Hey anybody, I am selling two of my power hammers. I have a 50lb and a 25 lb little giant hammer that I will be dumping onto the auction block (ebay) end of this week. I am in Eastern PA so if anyone...
6
6

new shop floor question
I checked the archives & rcm's archives with only ltd. success. I'm designing for an immediate build (moving) a new shop barn of my dreams. I will have a partitioned area for my blacksmithing & other...
3
3

Propane bottle
Soon I will be purchasing my first ever 20 pound propane bottle, for my 'forge under construction'. I have reason to believe some of them have a flow restricting device installed. If this is so, how...
14
14

Home built burner
Hello all. I am in Thailand and shipping costs and customs duties on goods purchased from the U.S. are prohibitive. I am interested in building a furnace and from research it appears that a burner...
38
38

New to blacksmithing?
Maybe it's time to post this again: New folks should visit the ABANA website ( they can look up their closest affiliate (chapter). Personally, I am happy to answer a new person whenever I can help,...
3
3

A fast way to demonstrate how a piece is made
This may be "old hat" to some, but---- A guy came over yesterday to get some questions answered. One question was: How do you make the Miner's Lamp that you showed at the meeting? This project takes a...
3
3

Forge Tuning Questions
I've done a bit of work in the forge I've built, and it seems to be heating up nicely, and I THINK I have the burners etc tuned ok. Despite that, I will want to try and do a bit of forge welding. I...
1
1

zink casting
http://www.keychainmadeinchina.com

Traditional chinese smithing
Last night I watched about ten minutes of "Ancient Discoveries" on the history channel. They talked about chinese swordsmithing a little. Does anybody have any references for any of the chinese...
3
3

Repost...Kaowool & Forge questions
I will be constructing my first forge ever. I will use a 5 gallon bucket, and I see that Kaowool blankets are expensive considering the shipping. If I use 1 inch 8#, 2 feet x 25 feet long I would have...
12
12

Broken anvil
Hi Guys, A tale of woe. I had a nice piece of pattern welded steel underway, and was happily pounding away on my cheap piece of crap anvil (which I'd already repaired with a new face). Blam, blam,...
5
5

Forge & Kaowool questions
I will be constructing my first forge ever. I will use a 5 gallon bucket, and I see that Kaowool blankets are expensive considering the shipping. If I use 1 inch 8#, 2 feet x 25 feet long I would have...
4
4

First knife finished this year
I finally got back to doing some work on knives. I started this one last year and just got it finished. The steel is 1095. The handle is mulberry. No bolster on this one. It is just under 7 inches...
4
4

Forging vid
Hey guys, I just posted a new video to youtube. Check out the link It is some ptretty wild stuff from back when i think everybody worked harder, eat less and died real early. I think they also...
3
3

Gold Smiths Handbook old manual craft 1897 FA
The Goldsmith's Handbook Containing Full Instructions for the Alloying & Working of Gold by George E Gee Ludgate Hill London, 1897. Cover a little grubby otherwise VGC.259 pages. Superb victorian gold...