Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Vintage Blacksmiths craft manual
The Blacksmiths Craft ,An Introduction to Smithing for Apprentices & Craftsmen Industries Bureau,grubby dustwrapper,original owners inscription,otherwise a very good copy.108 pages Anything by the RIB...
4
4

'nother propane forge question(s)
Is it safe to assume, (like for non-blown autos, and house fu naces), that one loses 3 percent efficiency per 1000 foot of elevation? So one at 5300 feet above sea level, would have to scale back the...
12
12

Guthrie Oklahoma swap meet
Does anyone know if they still have the blacksmith and machinists swapmeet at Guthrie Oklahoma? and when?

Forge available for rent
The Rural Life Centre has a well equipped forge available to let to any blacksmith with either an established business looking for a new home, or a newly qualified craftsperson. This presents a unique...

I need a link
I'm trying to locate a supplier for the rigidizer for kaowool blankets for small propane forges. Any help appreciated. I found some but I don't need $50 worth for a small forge.
3
3

forge pics
Recently built a forge and here is one of pics Alvin is hosting. you go to this address you can see the others. for anything MK*.jpg I also have some knife pics too, it was made my stock removal with...
49
49

Propane forge questions
I imagine a propane forge would be as noisy as the rivet forges the railroad here used to use. Very noisy. One could hear them a mile away. So one should not consider using a propane forge in a city....
7
7

Sad news from Namron, in Ansteorra
Since he posted here a lot, I figured it would be good to pass this info to this newsgroup as well. Mike Andrews wrote:
10
10

Forge Welding Video
A group of industrial blacksmiths forge weld a large ring for westinghouse.
4
4

spark test of S-7
Hi. I bought a few drops marked as S-7 on E-Bay. I spark tested them, and although they show evidence of a medium carbon molybdenum allow (bursts and arrows), I wonder if some one with a more...
6
6

A mixture of sucess and failure
Hello all, Despite what I said yesterday, I did decide to attack that bar of 1095 again this evening. It *was* easier to form with the anvil properly mounted, which I'm sure is no surprise to anyone....
4
4

Checking my learning curve (more advice requested)
Hello all, Had a chance to do a little playing around tonight, got the forge tuned a little better (changing the blower mount so that it is sucking in the hot air rising from the forge instead of the...
43
43

Charcoal Making
One of my friends who tried to get into blacksmithing and had an old charcoal forge needed some charcoal. We found someone who made it locally, but it was quite expensive. We then read online about...
12
12

This is getting frustrating...
Hello all, I've been looking around for metal that is suitable for chisel and knifemaking- doesn't seem like it would be such a tall order, but it would seem that either I have a lack of education on...
16
16

satanite as forge lining
So I built my forge with a wool liner and coffee can, using the jht7 for a burner. I fired my forge to cure the first coat of satanite, it turned black where the flame touched the wall (on the...
15
15