Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Numb arm
I was doing a little blacksmithing this weekend and I was beating on a bar uncoiled from an old car spring. Afterward, I noticed numbness in the hand I was using to hold the bar. I was wearing leather...
18
18

Anyone use EMJ (Jorgensen) e-metals website?
Figured I'd do some of the legwork myself before future orders at work, looking at availibility, price, etc- but all the thing will let me do is look up the names and sizes of materials. Might be good...

Need some specific hardening / tempering information - any help appreciated!
Hello all, I ran across some 430 stainless steel in the scrap bin at work today, and there was just enough on the margins to cut a couple of sets of woodturning chisels, so I took the opportunity to...
9
9

tempering a miners pick??
Gday all, The job at hand, sharpen a miners pick. The work sofar:- made a set of hammer-eye tongs with a ring to hold the pick head while working on it(I can supply a pic if you want one). Drawn out...
14
14

Blacksmiths keep commuters on the move
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/01/blacksmiths_kee.html

Air powered trip hammer speed controll?
Guy I work with is wanting to build one and being a machinist I am going to help. Neither of us knows what y'all use to vary the speed. this is being made with scrounged materials so what can we make...
3
3

Quench oil & tempering power hammer dies
Gday all, I found this article that may be of interest on these 2 topics covered recently. http://www.theforgeworks.com/temperin.htm

quenching a sword
Hi. I just saw a sword being quenched. It warped during quenching, and the blacksmith who did the quenching said that it was ruined. Especially if it warped in the plane of the blade, since it was not...
28
28

Quench oil what is best?
I'm going to temper some large 1 1/2" excavator pins and need quenching oil any ideas? Thanks Eric
24
24

Fire brick online purchase
So after research and researching. I've decided my first forge/heat treating "oven" oughta be a high temp firebrick. The old hands are right, you can't have an all purpose setup......well I suppose...
8
8

Looking at anvils next week- some advice greatly appreciated
Hello all, Today I contacted a guy who has some anvils for sale today who came recommended by one of the list members here, and am going to take a look at what he has to offer next week. From the...
29
29

anybody everseen anything like this (powerhammer?)
ohio Sensenmuseum Geyerhammer, Kultur- und Heimatverein Scharnstein, Almtal in Oberösterreich / Salzkammergut nahe Gmunden am Traunsee
10
10

Something to drool over
Thought y'all might like this photo: you see in the first photo is 44,000 lbs of thrust bearing blanks being hauled from the heat treater to the grinder. They're headed for gun turrets. The second...
2
2

Anvil Stand Questions
I'm in the process of building an anvil stand for the 110 pound cast steel Harbor Freight special. If I ever do enough blacksmithing to justify it, I may someday look at getting a more serious anvil....
4
4

Few general questions
Bedframe angle iron. It sure is different from stock angle iron. Is there any special use for it like knives, or other cutting devices? Anyone ever hear of making a thread die by drill the three holes...
6
6