Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Tuning up the forge- an observation
Hello all, Just a followup (for anyone who may be interested) about my recently built forge. Following a suggestion that I aim the burner a little more towards the back yeilded some pretty amazing...
1
1

Cleaning up anvil repair
I was given an anvil about 10 years ago which was badly swaybacked and gouged up and so I built it back up with hardfacing rod. I was able to clamp some aluminum to the sides of the face so that I...
15
15

Source for Pewter
I am interested in buying some raw pewter to melt down and cast. I've tried finding sources in Vancouver but haven't had any luck. Could someone give me a hint at what kind of business I should be...
3
3

holdfast not working
I am finally getting back in the fire after a very long hiatus. I may have to go back on the wagon, though, as there is a burn ban right now in my county. However, it was raining last weekend, so I...
5
5

Got my forge up and running- thanks for the help!
Hello all, After a largish amount of scrounging and a bit of fabrication, I got my forge fired up for the first time this morning after work. Took a little mucking around to get it set decently, but...
4
4

Merry Xmas
Seasons Greetings everyone. And however good it's been: I hope you have a better one.
3
3

Was-Looking for some basic HSS info, now blacksmith annealing rates
Trevor Jones just made an appropriate comment about blacksmiths not being able to anneal (or normaalize) high alloy tool steels. Since many old blacksmiths talk about putting parts into the ash bucket...
4
4

Japanese bellows
I have a small coal forge that I am currently using a hair dryer to power. I am thinking about using coke instead and a Japanese bellows, but I don't know how large they should be. Any thoughts?...
6
6

Looking for some basic HSS info
Hello all, Just wondering if anyone has some basic information on M2 HSS regarding forging, hardening, tempering, annealing, etc. Tried googling it, but found the specs for everything *but* what I...
8
8

hammer die material
Can the ball of a section of 110 pound railroad rail be hardened in some manner, to be okay to be used as dies in a 60-75 pound treadle or power hammer? If not what is the best way to obtain the...
10
10

thought on charcoal forges
Hello all, Long time lurker, first time poster....oh that's so lame I just had to say it though. So I made a small drop point utility knife that I need to heat treat(1095). First I was going to use...
10
10

Need help identifying this wood species
I'm trying to identify the species of wood that this stump came from. The pictures I took are at for the first stump, I'm clueless. But I do know that it's very heavy, as I had one heck of a time...
17
17

trip hammer questions
I'll be joining ARBANA in 2 weeks and I understand they have plans for alot of shop tools one can construct. But for now I am wondering what a good weight for the head of a foot operated trip hammer...
7
7

Don't know if blacksmiths do this, but a gloat anyway...
Got an excellent deal today- At work, there's a new punch operator that is not very experienced with the machines, and he mangaged to damage a whole lot of HSS punches and dies over the last two or...
1
1

Critical Dimensions For Mixing Venturi?
Hello. Does anyone know what parts of a gas inspirator (venturi) primarily affect the fuel/air ratio? I've tried searching high and low for the answer to this and can't find it anywhere. It seems like...
16
16