Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

A friend ran across this site...
24
24

How my Demo went
I asked you all about what to demo and got a great response. Thanks. Here is what I did. I started with a Rococo leaf (you can see the one I did at then go to new projects and look at the leaf detail...

Cable pattern welded blade start
Hi Guys, Just an update. I did a raw material swap with a nice bloke in America, I gave him a couple of Australian burls, red malee and some coolibar, and in return I got some steel cable. For some...
12
12

hydraulic forging press?
Anyone know of any plans out there for building a hydraulic forging press? Could something like that have a fairly fast action or slower, more like a bearing press? I would really like to try a...
13
13

annealing temp chart for various items?
I'm looking for a chart with the temps for annealing various products. I've seen them and had one till I changed jobs recently and lost a lot of paper work. Its probably packed in storage Right now I...
2
2

Looking for Propane Forge/Kit
I've been taking an introductory blacksmithing class, and am interested in purchasing a 2-3 burner propane forge (possibly a kit). Can anyone recommend websites/sources? Thanks, Phil
15
15

Anvil ID help needed
Foreword; The following post was originally in I was advised to post it here. Thanks, Jim Greetings all, With any luck, I have posted 4 pics(Anvil1-4) as well as a .txt file(Anvil10ID) of an anvil...
4
4

Should I do a full anneal to dead soft before forge welding?
I recently obtained some old rasps and tried to forge weld one to an old leaf spring. I didn't fully anneal the rasp and after ~20 blows I had a major break happen. Besides cracking/breaking of metal...
10
10

Material for making tongs
I have at my disposal a bunch of 7/16 rods that were the spokes on some old metal wagon wheels. Is this material too thin to make tongs from. So far, most places I have found recommend 5/8 sucker rod....
4
4

Tom Latane' class (Forging Decorative Embellishments) has one opening
I am attending the following class next week and they tell me they have one opening left. The Tunnel Mill school is located about 15 miles south of Rochester, MN. If you don't know who Tom Latane' is:...

Spark arrestors
Because he thought it would keep my neighbors happy (and the building inspector happy) our engineer has spec'ed a spark arrestor to go in the powered exhaust system for our four forges. (Not that I...
6
6

balancing a hammer??
Gday all, After making a hammer a while ago and modifying one recently, I got to thinking what makes one hammer feel good, balanced, while another similar hammer just feels wrong, or not as good? So...
21
21

Magnetic field effect on grain growth/size?
I was wondering if there have ever been any attempt to see if a strong magnetic field applied to a piece of metal during forging/quench/anneal/etc.. has any effect on grain size or grain growth. In...
21
21

Question for Smiths
I have a demonstration on October 7th for my local ABANA chapter. It will be held at my shop in Stroudsburg PA. As of yet I have not decided on a demonstration. I would like some help from you all as...
10
10

Annealing a rail
I have a piece of railroad rail that I may use for making a little homemade anvil (just a fun project with scrap materials such as that rail and 4140 bars). That rail is a light gauge rail, maybe from...
6
6