Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

forging non galvanised pipe
i was wondering if any of you have experience at this or any good tooling tips? by the way, i remember several years ago one of our experienced smiths was burning off the zinc coating in his forge,...
10
10

Blacksmith Tooling Pictures from Trip
Back in 1999, we took an ABANA European tour to Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. We saw lots of neat stuff. We took lots of pictures using an ancient art called "film photography". So it took...

the hammer's blow
what happens when an unstoppable force hits an unmoveable object ? bounce ? put hot steel in the middle and work is done. all you blacksmiths out there, did you know that when you strike your anvil...
9
9

Medieval times show in Schaumburg, and forged toy sword
See pictures at the link below. We went to Medieval Times Show in Schaumburg today. THey gave us some yummy medieval food, such as chicken, and had a show of sword fighting. Since the kids were...
1
1

Call for Artists - Athens Indie Craftstravaganzaa Spring 2010 Market
Registration is open for the 2010 Spring Market. The application is online now, please click on the FORMS link to apply. The 2010 Athens Indie Craftstravaganzaa Spring Market is set for Saturday, May...
2
2

Ironwork off the east coast of Mexico
We spend some time in Mexico and I did a survey of decorative ironwork on Isla Mujeres, the "Women's Island" which is a few miles off shore from Cancun, Mexico. This page shows how widely the work...

edge bending of flat bar
have any of you skilled blacksmiths out there had any experience with this pesky problem ? i'am talking about bending flat stock the hard way. have fun, mark
10
10

fold forming
any tips, technics or old hands at this procedure? i made some christmas presents , metal leaf candle holders. quick and dirty, none the less effective and easy to make. i've seen beautiful metal...
11
11

OT to all but Australians
Our ISP confirmed today that the "block" to is off. Sorry for the consternation it has caused. Pete Stanaitis -------------------------- This is the French Creek Valley home page. Here we tell you...
2
2

Annealling or normalizing in ashes vs vermiculite
Some years ago I published in The Metalsmith, a test I ran cooling a chunk of steel in my ash bucket. Last week I ran a very similar test using vermiculite instead of the ashes from my coal forge. I...
6
6

Book review: Stuart Hill
Yow! I have a nifty new metalwork book! If you've been around an anvil for a while, you know about Stuart Hill. Newbies may never have heard of him. Recently I've learned that he has managed to get...

metal work in my galleries
for lookin'.

OH, Boy, I made the first post here for the new year!!! Chop saw basics
There's more to running a metal cutting (abrasive wheel) chop saw than just pulling the switch, as most of you know. Just in case there's somebody out there who is thinking about getting one or who...
6
6

Sunflower
With this discussion of how metal expands with heat, it made me wonder if there might be some fun way to make use of it in a blacksmith project! Such as a metal sunflower that would lean towards the...
12
12

Removing stuck and broken bolts, some blacksmithing content
The blacksmithing content here is that you have to take stuff apart to get the steel stock for forging! There is even "heating and beating" going on, but the object is to NOT deform the work. Anyway,...
16
16