Best Rated threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Propane exercises in frugality ????
My first bottle of propane 5 gal (20 pounds ??) is down so my manifold pressure is less than 5 psi. I need at least 8 psi at my altitude, 9 is okay and 10 is great. The bottle still sloshes alot and...
19
19

Repost about 'rigidizer'
. . . sorry the first post didn't appear. I'm just finishing my first propane forge made from a 5 gallon can. I modified it slightly so it is no longer a cylinder, but is now a vaulted arch. The floor...
11
11

Is 'regidizer' necessary ?
I'm just finishing my first propane forge made from a 5 gallon can. I modified it slightly so it is no longer a cylinder, but is now a vaulted arch. The floor consists of two -1" layers of kaolin with...
9
9

Homemade anvil from railroad track and 4140 steel
I am not a blacksmith, but would like to have a anvil like object for pounding stuff. Because of the above and lack of space, I would like not to spend too much on a real anvil. I do, however, have...
23
23

Disadvantage of using brine to quench
[I would have posted this in the quenching media thread, but I can't figure out how to respond to messages in this group. Sorry.] A Korean swordsmith, when asked if he used salt water to quench his...
2
2

sea shells as case hardener
I was reading a post by Charly the Bastard and he mentioned sea shells used to smelt iron. Would they be appropriate (ground up) for use as a case hardening material? A blacksmith friend of mine saves...
10
10

Hydraulic forging press manufacturers?
There seems to have been an explosion in the last couple of years in the availability of new power hammers, but I haven't run across any new hydraulic forging presses sized and configured for a small...
20
20

Charcoal briquettes
Hello, fellows. Can charcoal briquettes be "coked" on a forge? Just curious. Mike Mandaville Austin, Texas
29
29

DH-2 Specs?
Anybody worked with DH-2? I have what appears to be part (4ft or so) of a bolt-on edge for a dozer blade that's just begging to be something...well, several somethings actually, but I'm holding off...
52
52

Bradley helve hammer parts
Hey all, I just had the good fortune of buying a #200 Bradley hammer. Included in the deal was about 1/2 a ton of NEW replacement parts. More parts than I can imagine using up in my lifetime! Any...
1
1

Nazel 4B for sale - Reply directly to sender
ONE (1) USED Model #4B NAZEL Self Contained Air Hammer in good working condition SERIAL NUMBER: 1039 AGE: N/A SPECIFICATIONS: Capacity: 600 Lbs. Mild Steel Worked Efficiently: 5-1/2" Square Blows Per...

removing paint from an anvil
I happened into a new anvil from Vaughan Brooks. It's painted a pretty blue, caked all over it. It kept the rust off, but now it's time for the paint to go. I put about 15 gallons of water in a deep...
15
15

propane burner question
I have built a burner using all info gained from Ron Reil's fantastic web site, but I have a problem getting the damn thing to run . Sure it will ignite and burn but the flame is all over...
18
18

Fast way to stop anvil from ringing
Related to the recent thread on mounting an anvil: One quick way to stop an anvil from ringing is to put something in the pritchel hole. An L shaped piece of round stock works well. If the short leg...
15
15

satanite as forge lining
So I built my forge with a wool liner and coffee can, using the jht7 for a burner. I fired my forge to cure the first coat of satanite, it turned black where the flame touched the wall (on the...
15
15

railroad track anvil question
Oh crap. :/ What is left behind by 6010 rod? A rail road rail is about 1080 high carbon steel, just like a good cold chisel. Also it's almost pure pearlite... that is it's fully annealed for use as...
11
11

Electric forge blower source
Every dead gas hot water heater has a nice little blower in it. A friend tells me that he simply goes to stores that sell new water heaters and asks to be allowed to either take the blower out or to...
18
18

ITC versus Plistix
Hi. Does anyone have any comments and/or experience with Plistix and how it compares to ITC-100? I have read that plistix is good for covering ceramic fiber in a forge, but I haven't heard anything...
1
1

replacement part for a Kerrihard power hammer...(yes, it's a long shot)...
Hi gang, I have an old Kerrihard power hammer. I've never used it yet (still hoping for some shop space of my own one day), but I'm told that it worked fine. The only visible problem is that the ram...
2
2

clamshell forge
I've seen a "clamshell forge" which has 2 slightly hollowed disks of metal filled with castable refractory. The bottom one is fixed and has a wide lip, and the top one can be raised with a long lever,...
8
8