De Re Metalica, THE book to read!

In about 1556, a book that purported to tell ALL about metals was written by Georgius Agricola. It is "De Re Metalica" , something like "of the metals". I think it is one of the most important and entertaining early books covering the history of metals; prospecting, mining, purifying, and working. It was translated into english in 1912, I think. It was reprinted in paper back in the 1980's, I think and that's when I bought my copy. Now and then lately I have been looking for used copies and they do appear on abebooks.com from time to time and are available now at Amazon.com. Prices, IIRC, run from maybe $25 or $40 up to almost $100. During my search tonight, I found this online link:

Personally, at the current Amazon.com price of $26.22, I'd rather have a paper copy than going through the online version.

There's a pretty good section on iron, from mining to smelting to wrought iron and to working it. I'd say that section should be mandatory reading for all blacksmiths.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
spaco

Ah - you can buy it again - I have one and it is a great read.

It even helped solve an issue of when something started - I want to say the bronze age - This book documented it earlier.

Glad it is now back in print.

Mart> In about 1556, a book that purported to tell ALL about metals was

Reply to
Martin Eastburn