why are cheap anvils no good

I've seen that when I did the original treat on this knife but I was using pretty direct heat (had the knife pretty much right at the end of the flame. Later I tested a piece of plain carbon steel and found that the heat required was way lower than this knife and decided that I over heated it. So, I normalized it a few times later and did the heat treat that I described earlier. As I said, we brought it up really slow and the whole blade came to heat gradually and I didn's see any shadow. What I found out though is that the 5160 has to get a lot hotter than plain carbon to reach non magnetic so the temperture that I went to on the first round was probably fine. I had just done it much faster and with more direct flame. I do think that I got a better hardening on the slow gradual heat up though. Gut thing. Nothing to back it up with.

I'm inclined to say that you don't need anywhere near that size if your chamber is well insulated (and of course not *too* large). I have to think it is desirable to keep the flame well away from the steel so long as you can get the temperature in the chamber up. This is what I have been working toward and for the most part accomplished. My only concern is that the flame on my naturally aspirated burner is still not mixing the fuel as well as it should. Still get a bit of the "yellow salamanders" dancing around in the chamber. Has a lot to do with stray currents from outside the chamber both at the intake and the exhaust/work opening. I am hoping that when I get the T Rex burner I will see a much improved performance.

Hmm. I'm using a needle valve myself. Cheap and gets the job done. I'll do the regulator later when I don't have more immediate concerns for where to spend my money.

When you say "exit pipes" are you referring to the mixing tube and burner nozzle? My buddy with the forced air unit ended up putting a ball of steel wool just behind the gas jet and got an improved mix out of his torch that way. Any obstruction in the mixing tube and forward will work as a flame holder if given a chance.

My buddy took a hex nut the size of the tube diameter and filed noches into the flat sides and then welded it into the end of his mixing tube. Works ok. Gets a bit hot if used for a while.

Now that sounds like fun. I'm thinking of making a set of steak knives for the family (without the stupid serrations). I'd like to do them in carbon steel with a hamon line just for kicks. I got my hands on some "plow steel" from the local Scrap & Steel yard. probably 1060 or 70ish. I'm making a custom camp hatchet for a friend and the scraps will provide enough material for several more knives.

Sounds like good all around material.

Got it on Sat. A hard bound school book. My favorite kind! Good shape too but the guy who owned it before me was neurotic about writing his name all over it. Not that I care. Lots of good information there. Should keep me busy for a while.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

I'm thinking that it'll be harder to see in an alloyed medium carbon steel than in a straight high carbon steel like a file, so might be close to un-noticeable?

If the magnet-method's working for you nothing wrong with that. :)

Yep, after reading about blankets and coatings again, you got that right on the money, IMO. :)

Youv'e come a long way haven't you? (since the weed burner;)

For sure, even in my clunky setup, I've gotten down to two 1" elbows side by side and with the "diffuser" screens, they are pretty small flames and very stable, easy to control the mixture on too.

:)

My 1/4" needle valve and high pressure hose wasn't cheap! ;) It wasn't a complete waste tho, I use that stuff in a homemade bottle tranfer system.

My regulators were cheap... given to me. ;) But they aren't fancy adjustable ones tho.

Burner nozzle... and I've got the word now... diffuser.

The diffuser sort of restricts the flow so the flow speeds up there, right? ;) So it's easier to adjust the "exposive mixture" flow speed to match it's flame/reaction speed. ...and it shortens and spreds out the flame some too.

I put the knife blade way back inside past the flames where the hot gases and glowing walls of the oven heat the metal pretty evenly.

What'd he do to keep it in place?

BTDT! :)

My next step was the square-holed screen off an aircooled VW's oil cooler. :) Last is the stainless steel screen with punched holes. I managed to pick up several different types and tried them out.

Too small of holes, is too small. Too little metal between holes, is too little. Too big of holes, is too big. Etc. ;)

The hamon will be cool as anything. :)

I use a non-serrated steak knife. It pretty much needs resharpening after every steak or pork chop meal. Suggestion- don't leave them extra hard like me and Bear were talking about... they could scratch your plates. No kidding. :)

Mine's an old Robeson with walnut handles that I bought along with some other junk at a yardsale for 10 cents. :)

I copied that knife's blade shape in a bunch of other knives. :)

Don't see "flashing.jpg" must have deleted it off the web directory.

Pretty close to "the best to be had" for blacksmith-made knives! :) It's got the Cr in it to protect it and so, an improvement over plain high carbon steel. Good stuff that Cr, when used in small amounts. ;)

It reads good... Dell did a great job. :)

With that knowledge your experimenting will be much more fruitful.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

"Michael" wrote in news:QzOMc.322344$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Controlled burning, and a good monitoring spot upwind can be your friends if they're an available option in your area this time of year.

Reply to
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH

And being ABSOLUTELY SURE there are no breathing creatures downwind that anyone cares about, because you have a fair chance of killing them. A case of poison ivy in the lungs is downright nasty.

So, you're m Burning poison ivy = Bad Idea

Spring for a bottle of Round Up. Kill the plants, come back in the spring.

-- Carl West snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Carl West

First of all the oil will vaporize and spread in a breeze much less a wind. The smoke will be full of it as well. It might go miles. Haven't you smelled smoke from a neighbors Barbie ? - that is a set of oils and carbons.

Use a spray killer. Have it taken out by professionals and then spray when it comes up.

I have it growing on my place and it is hard to spot until it turns color. Then I try to get it then. You are lucky knowing where it is. Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Well that makes sense... lets pollute the area with toxic chemicals so we don't risk giving Poison Ivy to the small furry ceatures who LIVE IN THE STUFF. Just for the record, Humans develope an immunity to the stuff with repeated exposure and most animal will never have a problem with it since the live in and around it... I don't want to start a pissing match but think that one through a bit. The forest service burns it all the time, by the way.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

"Greyangel" Spaketh Thusly:

Look again, he said Round Up. That stuff (salts of glyphosate (sp?)) is about

2x more toxic than plain table salt - meaning not toxic in realistic amounts. And it's inert once it hits the ground. It's an extremely effective plant killer that won't hurt the bunnies. I have toads sit in my driveway every night (they catch the bugs the LV lights attract) that have been sprayed with it - they're fine, so are their offspring.

-- Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]

Molon Labe!

Reply to
Bill

RoundUp is considerably more toxic than that.

It's not the glyphosate that's the problem (that's pretty much as you describe) but "RoundUp" is mixed with a surfactant (detergent) to get it into the plant. That's much more hazardous to humans than the glyphosate is.

Reply to
Andy Dingley