Is 430w PSU enough?

AMD X2 dual core 4200 Asus M2N SLI 8meg ram Gforce 1meg (no extra power plug) 2Hdd's 2CD's 1Floppy
just put this system together, not a super gaming system, just a nice
beater for general purpose. Seems like the new Thermaltake TR2 430w PSU die's down (slower RPM just for a second or 2) at in the initial power on boot, then the VGA kicks in & displays boot screen. Windows XP trys to load then BSOD.
Not enough power? the specs say it will handle dual core processors on the box.
just an FYI The CMOS reports CPU temp 10/11 deg c MB temp 13/14 deg c
what give's? The OS on the HDD's from the previous MB AMD 1.2 CPU was standard Win XP SP3 home. Does the new dual core need 64bit OS? It boots to a floppy dos prompt no problemo.
Dont tell me, I'm gonna have to buy Win 7?
Thx
-- ~g~
cncmillgil wrote:

Not a computer guru at all, but the 8 megs of memory seem way to small, did you mean 8 gig?
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

gig meg hertz whatever<g>
I'm not a geek squad dude either. But being around this stuff , ya kinda pick it up (f-up & learn to fix). One of those hobby's I like to "tinker" with.
Hey ! Lets over clock the CPU till she blows! :-) Its like taking a 6" wide 1/4 in deep cut in 4140- push it till it stalls. Thats the max speed. Dont go any faster than that.
-- ~g~

Are you trying to use the operating system on a hard drive that came from your old system? If you are that is most likely the problem. There are system files on the old HDD specific to the old motherboard that are not right for the new motherboard Making it necessary to do a new install of Windows.
On Mar 13, 11:07am, snipped-for-privacy@bob.net wrote:

Ya there's something left over from the old system config on the HDD's that won't let it boot. BSOD before the windoze logo appears. It boots to a system floppy though. All drives are recognized- CMOS recognizes the correct CPU ram ect. Problem being all I have are windows upgrade CD's that wont run from dos command line. Grrrrrrrr
-- ~g~
On 11-03-13 01:07 PM, cncmillgil wrote:

Sorry for late entry into this conversation.
did you get a CD with the motherboard? If so, try installing the drivers from that, and then reboot.

Turns out I had multiple problems: 1) some type of grounding / short curcut issue? no allowing the PSU to kick in & power the HDD's/boot or anything - just black screen with PSU running. Giggling & reseting ram / boards ect that got solved (dont know how but it works) &was able to boot to CMOS & setup
2) windows has some info of the previous MB CPU combo that will NOT allow it to load from the transplanted HDD's thus BSOD (blue screen of death) fixed by doing a fresh install of XP (setting CMOS to boot from CD) There's probably a simpler way to do it, with the "right" software on a boot able CD? Anyhoot its working, as I'm typing.
Dude : I'm now in the 20th century - Dual core processor- wow! What are they up to now 7cores?
-- ~g~

Just updated the O.S. on my backup name / dhcp / mail server:
FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Mar 11 09:01:29 CST 2011 snipped-for-privacy@srv1.the-grills.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SERVER i386 Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0 CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (333.06-MHz 686-class CPU) Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0x650 Family = 6 Model = 5 Stepping = 0 Features=0x183f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA, CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR> real memory = 67108864 (64 MB)
--
Kelly D. Grills
snipped-for-privacy@the-grills.com

Oh, & it only took ~16 hours to compile (eek!):
[root@srv1]~ $ head -8 ~/mw.out Script started on Thu Mar 10 12:09:10 2011 srv1# cd /usr/src srv1# make buildworld --------------------------------------------------------------

Script done on Fri Mar 11 06:46:12 2011 [root@srv1]~ $