Self test to see if you suck at machining...

Since everything is relative, and you could be the best in your shop and totally suck at the same time, or the reverse could be true... I've made this little test so young folks can tell if they suck or not... Of course I suck making this test useless.

Friggenbozo's 10 point test of suckyness.

You know you suck if.....

  1. You need the absolute best equipment money can buy to do your job.
  2. Your toolbox is setup for show with tons of your tools on top of it, rather than using your toolbox realistate to actually do stuff on.
  3. You have no humility, you actually think you are great. The trade is too diverse for anybody to be great at everything. It's ok to feel you are good, but great is ridiculous.
  4. You seek jobs based on pay rate. If you have done this for many years your skill level is low by default.
  5. You have done the same type of work your whole career, whether it's 5 years or 50. You can never really know how to do something unless you learn things that are parallel to it.
  6. Bragging. Bragging has always been a sign of a lack or personal strength. Sometimes it's faked to make money and that's ok(mohammad ali), but for the most part it's a sign of personal weakness.
  7. Your over tooled for the job your doing. If you use a 20 millionths indicator on a mill....you prolly suck.
  8. Pointing out others weaknesses (unless to prove a point). By zooming in on others shortfalls, your usually just trying to mask your own.
  9. After being in the trade for 10 or more years NOT having a feeling of rebellion. After 10 years or so you better be feeling like there's better ways to do things, like your bosses are clueless. If you aren't feeling that way your prolly too much of a follower to of learned much.
  10. This one is the most important. When someone ask's you "can this be done" and you say "YES" before they can go into the details of what they want you prolly DON't suck. A good machinist can do anything with whatever he has at his disposal to any tolerance needed. Of course time is what will suffer. But if you answer yes before knowing what is needed than your on the right track.

(Insert flames below lol)

Reply to
vinny

You feel the need to post self-tests on machining.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

you're on a roll jonnie.....you're on a roll.

Barn

Reply to
barn_rubble

Funny how you were the first one to reply to it, considering I used your recent posts as a template for the test. But at least you have some pride and snipped the test off your post. You know that post was made for joo!

And this dipshit claims he owns folks in this group. Ya..sure ya do. You own this group like you own credit card debt. Now dance mr bojangles!

Reply to
vinny

is microwave popcorn better than kettle cooked?

"D"

Reply to
reidmachine

Howbout 11. You need cadcam to drill an effing hole.

Oh, and 12. You need cadcam to drill an effing hole, but don't know cadcam.

Oh, and 13. You need cadcam to drill an effing hole, don't know cadcam, but you spend inordinate amounts of time tryna convince the world that you do know cadcam.

Oh, and 14. All of 13, AND you still haven't fooled one single person.

1-14 do not apply to me, yet I still suck at machining. How do you explain DAT? Natural talent?
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I want to be 1st, like you guys some day when I grow up.

I was riding the bus the other day & had to yell up to the driver:

\|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the HOLDZEM=A9=AE king

Reply to
milgil

I want to be 1st, like you guys some day when I grow up.

=======================================

Wouldn't #1 be jb???

Oh, but #1 dudn't have a c*ck in its mouth, so it can't be jb....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Can't totally relate to this since I'm a repair tech in a manufacturing firm that is mostly a machining facility. I do maintenance machining and at home, hobby machining so I have a weird mix of experiences.

My box has stuff that won't break off unexpectantly and hurt me. Every brand under the sun as stuff gets 'lost', 'borrowed', and yes, broken.

I have decent measuring tools. Mitutoyo digital mic's in the smaller sizes, Starret mic's in the larger. Got lucky, the shop got rid of old non digital stuff and I won the auction(s).

Only I can find stuff in my box and that is on a good day.

The more I learn, the less I know I know. I'm satisfied with I try hard and am not afraid to read, ask questions and even think.

Going to disagree with you there. Start cheap, stay cheap.

There I agree, no ablity to change and adapt, sure sign of a deadender in most cases unless you are at the top of your game.

You nailed that one.

What does one of those things cost? Would be really handy aligning our grinders.

Those that relentlessly go after others faults are insecure. At my last review, my boss remarked that I'm often a voice of calm. I understand the dynamics of my workplace, the strengths and weaknesses of my coworkers and myself. Outside of a couple that needed to be ejected and management did it on their own w/o much help from us, we work things out.

I would hope that in any profession you would think you have a clue. Your bosses work with different clues than you. Good bosses will accept clues and also clue you in so everyone is on the same page.

I think you blew it there. Just because you may be able to figure a way to do it, it doesn't mean anyone wants to pay for the time and expense to do it on anything other than a one off or emergincy basis.

The better answer would be, yes if you give me the time but if you want the job done fast and economically, send it out to .

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Before you get your journeyman card you have to demonstrate to an approved official that you can toss a dead blow hammer up into the air, rotating thrice in flight and then catching it by the handle. Anytime, anywhere, anyplace. If you can't do that, you are not a machinist my friends.

Reply to
Bill

I always preferred the 20 foot high, single slow rotation....

Reply to
Joe788

Dang, been able to do that for years! Where do I apply for my card?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

To be real cool you just let your work speak for itself. Load a part flip the hammer delivering a location blow to just the right spot at just the right kinetic energy all in one fluid motion while every one looks on in admiration. They will just know you are credentialed. Those that wear their credentials around their necks usually drop the hammer on a pretty consistent basis.

Reply to
Bill

This list reminds me of how even skilled machinists have been sucked in to propaganda machine. Here we are all trying to make a living yet many in this industry insist on policing the skills of others around them. Rather than be bold and ask for more money we attack those around us who we feel make "too much" for their "skill level". Few other industries are so critical of their peers. The classic phrase years ago came from another machinist: "Look at the idiot over there on the grinder, he don't know his ass from a hole in the ground...". My reply?, "He makes the same as you."

-- Bill

Reply to
johnsondick5

Where I first worked maintenace, you had to be able to stand on a sledge hammer and walk it and you across the maintenace crib.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

This list reminds me of how even skilled machinists have been sucked in to propaganda machine. Here we are all trying to make a living yet many in this industry insist on policing the skills of others around them. Rather than be bold and ask for more money we attack those around us who we feel make "too much" for their "skill level". Few other industries are so critical of their peers. The classic phrase years ago came from another machinist: "Look at the idiot over there on the grinder, he don't know his ass from a hole in the ground...". My reply?, "He makes the same as you."

-- Bill

Now wait....the pay scale is unfair as long as your not informed. I'm not informed so relax. Don't kill me lol Look, whats better?, a national system where you make whats on the chart, or having the ability to make an infanite number? I get robbed normally, people have always taken advantage of me, but thats the limit I put on myself, I could actually overcome it if I wasn't so damn stupid. But to have a real limit..wholly shit, that's why we fight racism? I can't jump 10 feey ever, it's physics, and mass and resistance, etc... And that sucks. There's no such limit on capitalism?

Reply to
vinny

I bring it up as I've lived it. I worked a couple shops where the (alright I'll say it...) Mastercam programmer would have a fit about how much faster MC was than UG... How overpaid us "expensive" cam system programmers are... How much "longer" it took me to do "simple" things... and the "piece de resistance": why he was sooo much better than me with his cheaper hourly rate! In the end, I would survive the layoffs (boss must have been a dodo head). I learned long ago: don't worry about the other guy, worry about yourself. Would you rather see the other guy fired, demoted, or a cut in pay? Or - would you rather get more money?

Btw, my "rebellion" came at about 7 years into the trade. That was when the "old-timer" told me that I'd be at top pay: after 10 years! I mean come on, what moron should wait 10+ years for pay equal to just about any other semi-skilled trade?

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Agree.

I don't have this type of management at my current job. I do agree this is the norm.

No but it shows you're much more honest than the liars and losers that make up the majority of posters.

Agree.

There is... you can't figure out that these are the people who have learned a ton from what I post and can't admit it to themselves.

Rent a season of HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm and see if you can stomach say 3 episodes in a row.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

ok 1 fer me ya I'm winning!

ya 2 fer me!

Ya 3 fer me but I I'm a good liar! Y/N? I can bambozzel the brunt of most weak minded? Oh shit................. her it comes......... Luke...... you don't know the power of the "Dark Side"...........

f*ck, I guess my Jedi mind tricks will not work on you

Sheet i should be gett'in a freekin award that 3-1/2 in a row!

Nay that aint it. Had you fingered out years ago. just never had time to tellya & I still don't, anyway.............. good luck with that. Make sure your students keep away from the koolaid. Jim Jones did'nt have much luck with that, so I've heard.

HBO? who the hell watches that shit? Gimme freek'in break. Personaly I like Racheal Ray- whata sweetheart XOXOXO. Hmm I wonder if I show her how to run a CNC, she'd show me how to cook in 30miniutes - or less?Hmmm there's free Holdzems involoved here now! ok back to reality buttercup If it aint current news, info type documentrys ect like mega disasters or how its made, engineering marvels , science channel, discovery, PBS concerts(pink floyd darkside of moon)#1 I dont want to see it. Its all lifstyles of the rich & famous- propaganda BS Where's Robin Leach?WTF?. Although I do kinda model my lifestyle after Dr. Greg House (grumpy CS'er that thinks he knows everything,or can at least diagnose it & always has a smart ass comment- yup thats me) CS'er I got 200 freekin satilite channels & still nothing good on:-) There's a song like that, 57channels & noth'in on?

\|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the HOLDZEM=A9=AE king

Reply to
cncmillgil