Latest threads in ⏣ Metalworking Craftshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Tempering 6061? (was: Welding 6061 weakens it?)
Some in these groups have opine'd that welding 6061-T6 would make it lose its treatment and result in T1. Aging at room temps would bring it to, maybe, T2 after a month. TIG welding will bring the...
15
15

FA-8 years of Machinist's Workshop Magazines
August 2000 through January 2009, all issues in excellent condition. See my ad on ebay at: http://tinyurl.com/np23vj

Forming ("chasing") internal threads?
Snap-On makes this internal thread chasing tool: It comes with what seems to be a selection of tips in different t.p.i. but not diameters. Since there are no diameter specs, I presume that these tips...
2
2

Welding 6061 weakens it?
Lined up a welder to weld a small bit onto a bike frame right at the 1/4 inch plate where the rear wheel attaches to the frame. Once welded, does this weaken the frame at this point? I presume that...
1
1

various benchtop mill & lathe questions - Grizzly G0619 and G9972Z
I am planning on buying a benchtop mill and lathe (two separate machines, not one of the combo things). Right now I am looking at the Grizzly G0619 mill the G9972Z lathe. 've looked at the various...
1
1

Zinc-clad primer?
Sherwin-Williams store sells spray paints, one of which is called "Zinc-Clad Cold Galvanize Primer". What is this for? When would one want to choose this over the "regular" primer? Is this an...
4
4

Welding 6061
Have a project which requires 1/4" 6061 plate be welded to 1/16 wall tube 6061. What risk is there of success welding these 2 together? I've read that pre-heating the parts to 400F-plus will minimize...
3
3

Painting weathered, cast parts?
Cast alum. (maybe magnesium) brake caliper. Original paint is chipped off in places, and metal looks oxidized. How to best prepare this metal? A good scrubbing and rinsing, of course. Light sanding,...
14
14

Spray Painting Woes
The goal: to change the color of a few new, factory-painted steel parts. I lightly sanded all surfaces with 800g emery paper. Cleaned up with denatured alcohol. Sun dried. First coat of spray enamel...
7
7

Painting over anodize?
Is any special preparation require when painting over a newly oxidized steel surface? Will either fine roughing up with 400 grit work, or using a regular oxide primer? Or...? Thanks.
5
5

metal shrinkage
As one of my first milling projects, I created a firing pin for a rifle to experiment on the length of the actual pin that strikes the primer on the bullet. The original was piercing the primer. I had...

Liability & responsibility of electrician?
The "electrician" is culpable as it was found that the wiring was to blame. That proof alone means that he would be culpable, regardless of his credentials, or lack thereof. The owner should bear some...
276
276

Mikron 79 Hobbing Machine
Any online source for information, manuals etc.? I am looking for a machine that will hob small gears, including worms, 0.2 module and 100dpi.

What is a small milling machine to look for?
What manufacturer should I look for if I want a "hobby" milling machine? Something with a 6x6 or 8x8 (inches) table? FBt
29
29

How to extract set screw?
Deep in a large machine (offset printing press) an allen set screw holds a shaft in a casting. The set screw is also locked in place with a lock nut (the screw protrudes from the casting enough to fit...
18
18