Latest threads in ⏚ Electrical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Thumbwheel with click!
I am trying to find a component that does the following: (1) Operates as a thumbwheel, i.e. to be mounted so that the edge of the wheel protrudes from a casing through a slot. (2) Has mechanical...
8
8

What cap mfr. to use?
Today I ordered electrolytic caps. It was frustrating. I had planned to get the best low-ESR replacements for all the caps in some switching power supplies. I discovered how limited any one...
37
37

Generator problem?
The Setup 11 kV comes in from DNO onto a common busbar via our 11 kV CB. On the same busbar I have 2 CHP alternators. They supply 11 kV onto bus by way of 415/11000 V step up transformers. Normal...
5
5

What is the best aluminum for heat sink?
A friend is making a spacer to go between a tab on a device and a heat sink. The total thickness will be about 0.25 inch (6 mm?). Of course thermal grease will be used at both matings. I've been asked...
83
83

Monitoring a dishwasher: Wattmeter with ethernet ?
Hi, We recently got a new dishwasher which is integrated into the kitchen. I.e., there is no visible display or any other feedback on its progress. However, I like feedback. :) The thought of hacking...
2
2

Pioneer plasma turns off: update
Pioneer plasma model PDP-V401. Original symptom: shut off after seconds or minutes or hours of operation. Power LED blinked error code 6 (as best I can determine the meaning of this code from Googling...
29
29

Modify a temp-controlled fan circuit?
This motor and its drive circuit are one unit (the circuit board is on the end of the motor opposite the impeller, in the air stream): It seems to me that the element in the lower right corner...
11
11

Screech circuit
I think I need a circuit that generates loud screeching brake noises every time I go over speed humps ( hopefully causing natives to push for their removal)
12
12

Help needed in Australia with transformer problem
HI there I'm not at all knowledgeable about electrics but need help.... I have a small fishpond pump requiring a feed from our 240v supply of 24 volts. My old transformer,which burnt out when my wife...
7
7

Power quality primer
Here's a nice article that outlines power quality troubleshooting techniques. It focuses on a hospital technician but the methods could be applied in most any industry. Check it you if you have a...
2
2

Switch contact ratings for motor?
I'm sure this is a straight forward question for someone here...Is there a rule of thumb for switch ratings when switching inductive loads? I have a timer switch with contacts rated as 16A resistive....
14
14

Another fluorescent nightlight dissected
cute little First Alert nightlight someone gave me a while back lasted all of 6 hours before it failed. The lamp is a small U-shaped hot cathode fluorescent made of tubing roughly 11mm diameter. R3...
5
5

Ground Grid Study
Hi, I am reviewing a ground grid study for a substation that is being built. The ground grid will be for a substation with a high side of 345kV and two transformers that step the low side voltage down...
3
3

Stripped Service Panel holes
What is the correct way to secure an electric panel cover when the panel bolt hole threads are stripped? I recognize the potential hazard with using pointed sheet metal screws. I was considering going...
4
4

Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?
All this talk about soldering irons makes me think how crummy too much American industrial design is. Some US industrial design looks great but some looks downright, well, Russian. Sure you can see...
56
56