Automotive alternator windings & rectifier

On 21/08/2013 00:47, Cydrome Leader wrote:

If you consider that at any time 2 windings will be supplying one polarity of current and the remaining winding the other polarity, you can see the neutral point is going to move in the direction dictated by the two windings. At higher currents, and higher frequencies, the inductance of the winding causes an increasing voltage to appear at the neutral point.
--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Some more info:-
http://tinyurl.com/kdcsayk
http://ece.ubm.ro/cjece/web/CJECE_VOL5_2012/3_Barz.pdf
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On 20/08/2013 8:33 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Thank you for the information- also thanks to Mike Perkins-The references were useful my background is in power systems so I have a different view on 3rd harmonics.
Don Kelly remove the cross to reply
Mike Cook wrote:

You are referring to the diagram on page 3 of the above document?
Those are not the individual windings brought out of the alternator. The 6 winding leads are connected internally through the diode bridge and brought out as two connections to the outside world. The B+ terminal and the alternator frame ground. This is shown on pages 23 and 24.

What isn't made clear in this document are the connections between the windings, field and internal regulator. The regulator connections are brought out as the IG, S, and L terminals (some alternators may have more or fewer of these connections).

Photo on p. 18.

Photo on p. 25. Note callouts for 6 diodes but you can see 8 round circles -- those are the diodes. Eight. (And yes, I've seen the rectifier and each of the 8 have leads soldered to each bus (or something...). I can confirm that firsthand.)
My conundrum remains:

By "common" are you referring to the (-) terminal? We agree that that terminal goes to chassis (presuming neg. ground chassis).
I'm talking about the common point among all 3 windings -- the center terminal of the "Y" configuration.

There ya' go...
Thanks.
On 20/08/13 09:23, Mike Cook wrote:

afaik the common of the 'Y' does not connect anywhere else. To do so would make it a "Wye" setup.

A "Y" = "Wye". "Wye" is just a way of sounding the letter "Y". They are one and the same.
On 8/19/2013 8:23 PM, Mike Cook wrote:

You're right, I'm wrong. I see the four a little hidden by the picture angle.

I'll take that as so, but I don't see it.

On 8/19/2013 9:23 PM, Mike Cook wrote:

The + and - from the six diodes is connected to a series pair of diodes. The junction of that pair goes to the neutral junction of the stator coils and the regulator. Like this:
+ --->|---+--->|--- - | | Neutral Junction-+->to regulator
See http://autonopedia.org/renewable-energy/generators/alternator-secrets/
Ed

Thanks Ed. I see that there are 2 additional figures:
ALTERNATOR WITH NEUTRAL SAMPLING CIRCUIT
which shows use of 8 diodes, and
ALTERNATOR WITH STATOR COIL SAMPLING CIRCUIT
which shows use of 9 diodes.
Appreciate your pointing out this web page. Thanks.

>> those are the diodes. Eight. (And yes, I've seen the rectifier and each of
>> the 8 have leads soldered to each bus (or something...). I can confirm that

common to the chassis 3 big diodes to battery positive 3 small diodes to the altenator regulator another small diode between the regulator and the altenator light,
eigth diode, dunno.
--
?? 100% natural