Best Rated threads in ⏚ Electrical Engineeringshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Racking out of motor starter?? How?
I need to take the overcurrents off a motor starter in an MCC. The problem I have is that the motor starter is racked into a live 600 Volt bus. I want to know if I can rack out the motor starter...
7
7

Robin 4102 Earth tester
Hi I have a Robin 4102 Earth Tester which tests the impedance of a ground earth connection, it comes with two earth spikes which are connected at 5 and 10 metres plus the earth rod under test, the...

AC to DC rotary converter
I'm aware of some elvators that still use a rotary converter setup exactly like a single phase to three phase or changing frequency. You can't easily get three phase out of single phase, but if you...
6
6

120v 220v
Hi, I've been on contract in Taiwan (120v) for a few years and have accumulated a few power tools, grinder, drill, etc. At the end of the year I get transferred to Australia for a few years (220v). My...
2
2

Reliance DC motor controller component info?
Have a failed Reliance "Jr. Pak-1000" 0.3KW DC motor drive. Note that this is not Reliance USA, as in Rockwell, etc., but Reliance, Japan, which used to be part of Reliance Int'l, but no more. Symptom...
3
3

Grounding
I have a question about grounding a 120/240 1ph 3w system. I am trying to determine if it is a violation of the 1999 NEC if their is a ground to neutral connection on the load and service side, and...
4
4

Generator size for 5000 BTU A/C and 11.6 AMP refrigerator?
I am trying to size the smallest emergency generator for hurricane season(s) here in Florida. Smaller size means less fuel, less weight, less noise. I will start the A/C and keep it running and then...
6
6

single phase from three phase network voltage drop
I'm feeding 208/120v single phase from a 208Y/120v three phase source - typical condo arrangement. Even though its a single phase circuit, shouldn't I calculate the voltage drop as a three phase...
5
5

Electric shocks (was: 100V appliance on 110v power supply)
When I said "I've got a Japanese Akai S1000 sampler", I actually meant "I'm selling a Japanese Akai S1000 sampler for someone else". As a result, I didn't know much about the unit and its condition....
26
26

electric water heater question
my water heater sprung a leak through the upper heating element , It flooded the space between the tank & casing (& laundry room). I drained the tank & replaced the element, It still is not heating...
18
18

just how dangerous is the neutral wire?
In the 3-wire 120/240 volt Edison style single phase wiring system as found in North American, a neutral can be shared between opposite phases, carrying only the current for the imbalance between the...
199
199

Can I plug my 230V compressor (NEMA 6-20P) into a dryer (NEMA 10-30R) receptacle?
I have seen lots of BS flying around on this topic but very little actual code. There are two issues. Is the cord protected and is the motor protected 240.5(B)(1) Supply Cord of Listed Appliance or...
64
64

Brand New Book - Practical Grounding, Bonding, Shielding and Surge Protection
Practical Grounding, Bonding, Shielding and Surge Protection by G. Vijayaraghavan, Mark Brown and Malcolm Barnes is a practical engineer's guide to the areas of grounding, shielding and surge...

Ranchoprene
Off-the wall question, but what the heck....... I have an extension cord here that I inherited from some relatives. This cord has been around since at least the early 1950's, I remember using it to...
1
1

Wire size for sub-panels
My house has 200 amp service. There are no more empty spots for breakers on the main panel. I would like to install two 100-amp sub-panels: one in the garage and one at the other end of the basement....
5
5

Electrical Engineer
Electrical Engineers Our client the world's leading manufacturer and marketer of major appliances, and superior products is looking for experience Electrical Engineers. Thanks to 65,000 talented...
29
29

208v and voltage, microwave oven
I hooked up a 208/240v commercial microwave over to my system, I made the outlet today. The microwave has a voltage selector on it. When I measure it, it shows 209-211v constantly going up and down on...
3
3