Best Rated threads in ⏚ Electrical Engineeringshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Fuse or fusible resistor?
Used in the battery (-) lead of a handheld scope. Schematics unpublished. Physically similar to a 1/4 W resistor, color light green. Marked "IE7A" or "1E7A". Google returns slim results, none...
20
20

Dielectric losses in 3-phase power cables, 33kV to 400kV
I am interested in the power losses of three-phase HV underground power cables rated at (1MVA, 33kV), and all values of MVA and kV above this. Specifically, I am interested in the Voltage-dependent...

My AC digital clocks run fast. Cheap fix?
I can't seem to get my local power company interested, but I suspect they are the cause of the problem. I've got numerous AC powered digital clocks in VCRs, DVRs, microwave ovens and clock-radios. The...
66
66

Questions on series versus parallel outlets in garage/shop
I have been learning a lot and realized I may have done a bad thing. I think I wired all my garage outlets in "series". The first outlet is a GFCI, wires from panel go in the "line" side and all the...
23
23

ultrasonic speed of Co2 laser beam control
Piezo oscillators or ultra-high scan speeds up to 4,000 Hz or 240,000 rpm with commercial air-bearing motors REAL galvanometer scanner alternatives, precise laser beam deflection up to 4 Kilowatt Co2...

DTV Pal running slow
My DTV Pal set top box is starting its scheduled channel changes late. Currently it's running 10 minutes late. I've disabled "inactivity standby" (which turns it off after certain time without...
10
10

Glass fibre cleaner for soldering iron tip
I saw this glass-fibre brush (or pen) for cleaning soldering iron tips while hot. OR a wodge of glass wool (loft insulation) do as good a job? Does it have there any unsafe chemicals which might be...
33
33

Transformer bunding question?
Under UK rules & regs, is there a requirement to bund fluid filled transformers to contain any insulating fluid leakage? This will be a new transformer installation and the fluid will be Midel. There...
5
5

LCD display repair?
Backlit Hitachi monochrome LCD display has dark horizontal lines obscuring much of the displayed text. I understand that frequently this is due to poor contact between the printed(?) contacts on the...
9
9

Soldering on a chromed surface
Recently, I tried to solder a ground wire to the shell of SPDT mini toggle switch but I could not get the tin sticked on to the chrome surface. Please if any expert would let me know the proper way to...
3
3

Faulty 3V solenoids
These are used in gas water heaters. The plunger pulls back to allow gas to flow when 3V is applied. I have 5 which have failed. When I apply 3.27V regulated to them I have to gently push the plunger...
14
14

Clothes Dryer Moisture Sensor
We made a BIG mistake in December and purchased a new dryer with "electronic" moisture sensor. It's still under warrentee but with the trouble we have had these few months, I'm morally certain that I...
135
135

Why do they hate the engineering mentality?
I was trained as an engineer, which I chose to pursue mostly because I recognized that I had a "can do" approach to problems. When other people said "can't be done" I was optimistic and said it could,...
14
14

240v Single Phase GFCI - Wiring Issue
Ok - I'll start off by saying I am NOT an electrician - and No, I am NOT trying to do this myself. Rather, I have TOO much help. I have our contractor's electrician Sub on one side - and the...
5
5

ETCON AF120 ARC-FAULT TRIPPER AND RECEPTACLE TESTER
Hi: Has anyone heard about what ever became of ETCON's AFCI Tester (or more recently: ETCON AF120 ARC-FAULT TRIPPER AND RECEPTACLE TESTER)? Mike Holt's blog. As follows... "Underwriters Laboratories...

Video interference "60 cycle noise" or "hum bars" retail TV display
I've have a retail customer with a large TV display. The content they display is generated from a multimedia server with both an NTSC and ATSC outputs. The ATSC signal then feeds a high definition...
7
7

how to bypass dremel tool internal variable speed control?
I'm on my second electronic variable speed control inside my Dremel model 395 tool. This one just crapped out with the same temperamental symptoms as the last one. I need to use the tool tomorrow...
114
114

Generac and frequency control
There are a few other posts about this but I'm going to chime in also. We just installed a Generac 16KW generator at our office to supply our server room, network backbone, phone system, and...
21
21

Microwave oven Diode Burnout ?
I need help from someone with an understanding of how Microwave oven's work. The high voltage diode in my Microwave has burned out three times now. While the original diode lasted years, the first...
12
12

Hpm single light switch
Any one help with wiring up a Hpm Australian light switch, as bought from Big W just want to replace the old cracked round type switch to a new one. Any help will be much appreciated. Peter
2
2