Best Rated threads in ⏚ Electrical Engineeringshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Why is EE education mainly glorified math?
Of course EE is not about solving glorified math problems. But the EE educational system is set up in such a manner. Most of an EE student's GPA consists of the ability to solve problems on paper for...
50
50

Question: Should a light bulb ever flash when the switch is turned off?
Hi, just a quickie until I can contact my local electrician in the morning. Apologies in advance for my limited understanding of things electrical! A little earlier on I fitted a Philips energy saving...
13
13

supply for old audio transistors (driver transistors: 2SD381 / 2SB536)
Hi, I find it pretty hard to find a shop that actually understands what one is asking for... I my case most of the shops I called up they did not even know the amplification class of their transistors...
22
22

Electric Motor Wiring
Hi I have an old Shopsmith Mk VII that all of a sudden wouldn't turn on. I tried replacing the capacitor (didn't help). I think it might be in the switch but no hope of replacing that. One piece so...
7
7

Why use a ground when the nuetral can do the same thing?
In a typical home breaker box the neutrals and grounds are on the same ground bar. So why if I install an outlet do I need to ground the box? Why couldnt I just take a jumper from the neutral and...
22
22

Why is the neutral isolated in a sub box.
If I have a 200 amp main in my house and later on decide to put a 100 amp subbox in my garage.....why do I have to isolate the neutral from the ground in the garage box? I am asking this because in...
29
29

Re: PIONEER PD-T505 schematic
Contact Pioneer Spare Parts and order the service manual. al.
4
4

Help/air compressor tripping 20 amp breaker
I have a 58' run of 12/3 wire running to the shed that operated some lights and a small 110v sears 30 gallon air compressor nearly new. The first time or two of turning it on to build air the breaker...
11
11

conduit fill - romex?
We're working on a kitchen renovation in a house built about 1900. The kitchen space has been gutted down to the studs and overhead joists and is nice and easy to wire with romex. There are sufficient...
9
9

200V vs. 208V grids, 3 phase
I understand that some metro areas have 208 V networks and others have 200 V networks. Further, I heard that NYC has multiple grids, some 200 V some 208 V. Motors rated (and nameplated) for 200 208...
3
3

Honda eu2000 generator output waveform
Hello all, I hooked up an o-scope to my Honda EU2000 generator and discovered something interesting about the waveform. Initially the waveform looked like a regular 60 HZ sine wave. When I changed the...
16
16

T-slot plugs and 20 amp appliances?
All this discussion of 240-volt appliances has me wondering about the fairly recent US and Canadian electrical code changes that encourage us to install the t-slot 20 Amp receptacles in places like...
38
38

Strain Gauge Oscilloscope Help
I am using Vishay 120 ohm Strain Gauges, (specifically EA-06-062AP-120) to try and generalize certain readings taken from aircraft engines. We have set up a small device to vibrate to simulate an...
5
5

Help with circuit diagram please
Hi I have a slightly unusual project I wonder if someone can help with. I need to customise a guitar to include 20 4.8v 3A torch batteries. They will be powered by 2 4.5V Alkaline batteries, the...
15
15

Identifying Transformer Core Overheating Problem
I need assistance with identifying the cause of a transformer core overheating problem. I am not an electrical engineer but I have 20 years of experience in transformer repair. The unit in question is...
7
7

Why has Romex wire gotten so expensive?
Romex wire used to be near $20 or so for a roll, and now its near $100. Why has the price jumped so high?
40
40

Will 120v/60Hz microwave ovens run at 120v/50Hz?
Question for the experts :-) Will 120v/60Hz microwave ovens run at 120v/50Hz? If not, why not? TIA rf
6
6

Questions about a Motor Starting Capacitor
My garage door opener stopped working; it just hummed for about 2 seconds. For no particular reason I touched the starting capacitor and fixed it. It ran okay for a couple days, then stopped. I...
2
2

NEC on soldering wiring
Dumb question: Does the NEC specifically allow, forbid or is silent on the subject of soldering home electrical wiring (type NM solid copper) together before using wire nuts?
26
26

Open delta transformer - Z calculation
I'm after some advice regarding a transformer impedance calculation I need to produce for a design in the near future; basically the transformer will be 75kVA with a 400V open-delta primary and single...
37
37