Best Rated threads in ⏚ Electrical Engineeringshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

hardwiring 12v (car lighter) GPS Unit? How?
Hi, I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit which plugs into my car cigarette lighter. On the one end it is a 12v cigarette adapter and on the other end it is a mini-usb. It looks kind of ugly with all the...
6
6

280V motor on 230V circuit
I have a broken pool motor [magnetek y56y] which will cost a bundle to fix or repair. While doing a search on the web, I found the same model (really cheap) but wired for 280V, instead of the 230 V...
196
196

Protecting a (Honda) Home Generator from Mice
The proper way to protect it is with fine metal screening covering all the openings. Keeps out both rodents and many insects. You do not need to enclose the entire unit, just seal off the problem...
15
15

Merlin Gerin YSF6 Circuit Breakers
We have a bank of Merlin Gerin YSF6 circuit breakers, two incomers eight feeders separated by a bus section switch. The two incomers feed onto the busbars and the feeders take the supply from the...
4
4

Pace soldering stations?
I'm looking at a used Pace temp-control soldering station model ST45. I did a usenet search this model and came up empty. This seems quite odd. If you have experience with this model, I'd like to hear...
12
12

three phase panel - 240Y/139 instead of 240 delta
Given a circuit breaker panel rated for 240 volt delta, center tapped (which means 120 volts to ground for A and C phases, and 208 volts to ground for B phase), what is the chance this panel could...
30
30

Japen Dimmer Switch - Where to buy?
I'm looking for a source to purchase an incandescent dimmer switch. The switch was manufactured by "Japen ind co, ltd" Dimmer Switch, incandescent only Model FD-18 120V AC 60 hz 300 W I'd like to find...
7
7

Power supply causes "Tingling" sensation
Recently I built a new PC with a nice 430 watt TruePower power supply. While putting the PC together I was horrified to feel a small "tingling" sensation whenever I touched any metal part on the PC...
14
14

200amp Service - Wire pulling
I'm building a new shop ( no metallic connections ) about 150' from my house. The shop will have a new 200amp service panel and I'll be feeding it from a 200amp disconnect panel at the house. My...
17
17

run AC solenoid valve on DC?
I thought I would run these 125VAC coil 1.25" solenoid valves on DC to eliminate the loud buzz. To test, I connected a variable DC supply, and ran the voltage up to the point where they opened...
11
11

Lightning protection and residential landscape lighting
Hi, My house is on a hill which is rocky. After getting hit at least twice in the past two years by lightning, I installed a lighting protection system. On each occasion I was lucky in that the only...
10
10

welder 220v europe - rewire for use on 220v north america
Hello all, new to welding and actually just moved to France from Canada. Have some projects I want to take on (basically looking for a new hobby). I was wondering, if I purchase a welder in France...
9
9

What oil to lube crosscut paper shredder?
What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an additional special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home office? Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40. It seems some...
29
29

Standing on a ladder -- would I get shocked?
If I were to stand on a large ladder that had very thick plastic shoes at the base and climbed to the top of it and touched the hot wire of a light fixture, would I receive a shock? I only touch the...
25
25

which MCB rating to use for my computer
I have no idea regarding electrical stuff so please help me! I wish to protect my computer from electrical damage since last week some short circuit in my house fried my mother board... Now I have...
31
31

South Korea 380V Power line colour code
Appreciate if anyone can help me. I am looking for information on colour code used in south Korea 380V 3 phase power line. I am used to the BS standard that is red, yellow and blue phase with neutral...
1
1

I know FLA & LRA but what is RES (on contactor label)
I've got some contactors that show Full Load Amps and Locked Rotor Amp figures but then they give a "RES" figure which may be in amps too - not sure. I've asked a couple of guys with no luck. Can one...
4
4

Carbon dust from motor brushes
Hello, Being the genius I am, I recently took apart a dead motor (needed to replace the brushes, this is the first time I've ever done this), and I got a large faceful of carbon dust. Nothing really...
10
10

Electrical outlet question
I need to add a gfi outlet to my wifes bathroom. I want to add it to the cu rrent light switch box. This box currently has two switches, one for the fa n,light and one for the vanity light. Each...
5
5

Wire nut reliability
Are there any statistics of fire incidents with these connection accessories? Are they considered equivalent to screwed terminals; or is there a justification for use of them for certain installations...
17
17