Bridge Rectifier Capacity?

At an auction today I picked up a Bridge Rectifier. It is in a Hoffman enclosure with a 240/480V to 120V transformer single phase, a bridge rectifier, some sort of contactor with a Mallroy 200Av hollow cylinder capacitor ( I think this might be some sort of regulator) and a smoothing capacitor in parralel with the DC output. I applied 240V and measured 164V DC on the output. However I dont know how many amps this unit is rated for. How can I calculate that? I assume this voltage is deadly and I took great care in testing.

What purpose would a device like this be used for?

Reply to
gtslabs

Maximum output current is determined by the weakest link in the path of current flow, most likely either the transformer or the bridge rectifier. Look for part numbers or other identifying marks, then search the net. You can't calculate this.

Yes, those voltage levels could be lethal.

There are all sorts of applications for DC power supplies. The 164 volts you (carefully) measured is close to the peak output voltage produced by the bridge. Under load, DC output will be about 120V.

Reply to
Roby

You need to know the current rating of the diodes. Check for a part number.

-S

Reply to
SimonLW