Is USB polarity important?

USB uses differential signaling, D- and D+ signal lines. Since it?s differential, is absolute polarity important? If, for example, I mix up the
two conductors on a USB device I?m rewiring, is this critical?
Just curious?
Thanks, Dave
On 08/08/2015 06:50, DaveC wrote:

Yes it's imperative you get it right
us:

Yes. ALL FOUR conductors, not just the signal pair.
Two are power. Does it make sense to you that reversing those would be OK?
Or mixing any from each set?
On 8/7/2015 10:50 PM, DaveC wrote:

Of *course* it is! Do you think you can replace every '0' with a '1' and still get the same *meaning*?

Yes.

Well why the hell not? Wifi manages to sort them out... :^)
(Radio encodings not having the advantage of DC and phase correct installations, of course, so they have to make do when they're doing PSK modulations.)
Tim
--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

because it's differential doiong that would make a "1" look like a "0" and a "0" look like a "1", that seems unlikely to end well unless USB has been designed to detect and compensate for this fault.
--
\_(?)_

On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 22:50:43 -0700, DaveC wrote:

Yes. A - B is different from B - A.
--
www.wescottdesign.com

On 8 Aug 2015, Tim Wescott wrote