Learning the NEC

I was taking a course at the Junior College in Searcy,Ar but the teacher turned out to be even worse than I'd heard. I've over 100 hours of tech classes mostly in Kansas City are and this clown was unbelievabe. With me quiting that leaves one student. Anyway I found there are DVDs on the internet for home study and wondered if anyone has any opinions. I live way out in the county, there are few resources here and I am now forced to learn on my own. Thanks in advance Rosco

Reply to
Butter

Who licenses electricians in your state? You might ask them for suggestions. Several states are linked in a compact so an electrician licensed in one can work in the others. That includes all states north and west of Nebraska including Nebraska. There might be others but I can't remember. One of the requirements for a journeyman's license is 2000 hours of work experience. An apprentice just has to get a card which doesn't have any training requirements. This guy teaches refresher courses for several states. There are links here that might help:

Dean

Dean Hoffman

The secretary of state does that in all states.

Reply to
Wecan do it

That may be true in your state, but it's wrong on both counts in New York state. Here, professional licenses are issued by the NYS Department of Education, Office of the Professions. However, construction trades are not licensed by the state but by local governments.* If you're talking about contractors, then they are licensed by the Department of State.

  • For several years, the IBEW has run FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) ads in which a contractor hires untrained day labor, then reminding us that electricians are not licensed by the state (while failing to mention any other licensing) and warning that ONLY electricians who are members of IBEW are truly qualified.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lamond

I've seen work done by IBEW members that looked like a preschooler did it. Sloppy routing, nothing screwed down tight, and wires that would pull right out of a breaker. They never admit to the other end of their quality curve.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not in Florida.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The Nebraska State Electrical Board is an independent agency. It isn't even under the State Fire Marshal. The secretary of state's website and the state electrical board website don't mention any link between the two.

I was wrong about the time required before one can apply for a journeyman's license. It's actually four years experience.

Dean

Dean Hoffman

You don't "learn" the NEC. What you learn is how/where to look things up in it. If the basics stick with you, great; that'll do it for you.

Get yourself a copy of it first. Start in where somethning is familiar to you. Ask questions where you need help or clarification, and eventually it'll all come to you. Patience and perseverence will out.

Your local code enforcement office might even have a ton of good info for you since they admininster and add to the NEC requirements where it's applicable. If you find an open ear, you'll be golden!

Reply to
TWayne

You should get the handbook. It costs more than the vanilla NEC but it includes all the NEC text along with exploitations in plain english and pictures.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have a copy. I also have an old edition of Mike Holts book on the Code. Holts book is very helpful. I've temporarily gotten sidetracked learning all this but I'll get back to it soon. As for my "local code enforcement office" were in Arkansas and in the country and that means there is no code enforcement. I've got a couple of people around I can ask questions to but thats it. I'm mostly having to learn everything as I go along. I do know a guy whose brother in law is an apprentise electrician and maybe he can help me. Thanks Rosco

Reply to
Butter