OT Fahrenheit

Malcolm Hoar

Maybe that thermostat was off, and it was actually 55 that was too cold.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

WHAT?? The closest I said to that was that the light year is not a metric unit.

I suppose you know a light year is NOT an amount of time.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Right. I don't like to see of the anti-metric propaganda that says something like "The quarterback in on the 21.8347 meter line." (supposed to make metric look complicated).

"km per liter" would have the units in the right order, and would be a closer equivalent to "miles per gallon".

BTW, I remember seeing the fuel efficiency of an army tank given in "gallons per mile".

I like to do math with simple numbers like that.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Maybe to help those unable to handle negative numbers, but still needed a way to express temperatures below freezing?

Of course, the REAL 0 point (no heat at all) is considerably lower than either 0C or 0F.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

And at the time, humans thought that THEY were the most important things in existence.

Could that just be what you're used to? The ratio (size of C degree to size of F degree) is less than 2:1.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Stupid example, though. If you're going 100 MPH, a 500 mile trip also takes five hours. If you're only using one set of units, it doesn't make any difference what they are.

Reply to
Goedjn

I don't follow. We're talking about people and weather, so why would anything else be relevant?

Yet we generally use fractional degrees C, but not F. I'm talking practice, not theory.

Brian

Reply to
Default User

More practically, 60MPH is a mile a minute, and very easy to work with.

Brian

Reply to

But.... 100 mph is not a legal speed while 60 mph zones becomes

100 kph zones.
Reply to
Dave Smith

Yes, but then you have to divide by 60 to know how many hours that work out to. 375 km at 100 kph is 3.75 hours. or 3 hours 45 minutes, while 375 mile requires division rather than just sticking in a decimal point. 6 with a remainder of 15.

I am used to the metric system. When I am en route to a city and see the destination signs and it says for example 122 km..... that is 1.2 hours. ..... and I instantly know I am just over an hour a way.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Is that a problem for most people? After all, the same time system is used in most places.

Brian

Reply to

If you are 23 km away how long will it take to get there at 100 kph? When I am 23 miles away I instantly know I am 23 min away @ 60mph

What ever happened to the dual unit traffic signs?

Reply to
Stephen B.

If we are going to make these things simple, why not use a digital clock and calender. Now if we can just get the rotation of the earth to be an even base 10 number, compared to it's circuit of the sun..

Reply to
gfretwell

When, after The French Revolution, the modern metric system was developed and adopted in France, it included "metric" time (10 hour days, etc). (Of course, because it was a part of nature and not a human construct, nothing could be done about the number of days in a year.) Because the time part of the system was resisted so much by the general public, it was eventually disgarded.

Reply to
Karl S

That sucks! I had another nice day to work outside. It was a=20 glorious 62F here in NW Vermont. I think I got sunburnt though. =20 It's only supposed to be 50F tomorrow, but that's enough to finish=20 my stain and trim work.

It is time to get the wife's snow tires on though. ...or I'm going=20 to be driving her to work.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

You also implied that it was an English measurement.

Sure, I also know hat you're an idiot.

Reply to
krw

Granularity? You mean spacing? Doesn't matter my electronic F deg thermometers measure in tenths anyway.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

It isn't?? A light year is the distance that light travels in one year. That distance can be measured in metric or imperial. It's going to go the same distance.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Thanks. That took me back to school days in the 40s.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K