OT: In 15 years, hard drives will seem as quaint as reel-to-reel tape recorders

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:47:58 +1000, "Rod Speed"
Sorry chump, but CP/M was an OS, and I have an ESDI drive that boots
CP/M inside before the host computer OS even gets any access to the platters, and that ain't firmware, it gets it right off the drive and loads it into a CPU on the drive.
Got Clue?

Irrelevant to whether hard drive firmware is an OS, fuckwit.

Just another of your pathetic little pig ignorant drug crazed fantasys.

Thats what plenty of drives do with their firmware, fuckwit.
Doesnt make it an OS.
Neither does a 7400 have an OS either.
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:11:21 +1000, "Rod Speed"
You're a goddamned retard. The best part of anything you could have been ran down your mother's leg.
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:47:58 +1000, "Rod Speed"
You're not an idiot human, your a retarded parrot.
Still the only media between your ears right now is shit.
The wiki definition should have a qualifier. You lose again...
Computer OS.
Other systems of hardware nowadays have OSes all their own as they are technically a computer and peripherals get managed, etc. Just because there is no GUI or display device doesn't disqualify them. So they would STILL qualify,even under the wiki definition.
You couldn't be more out of tune.

Pity none of your fridge, washer and dryer HD DVD player Pioneer Elite Stereo has an OS.

Duh. Pity they have firmware and no OS.

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant drug crazed fantasyland.
You've clearly wanked yourself blind.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=%22operating+system%22+definition&btnG=Google+Search&meta
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:15:57 +1000, "Rod Speed"

You're full of shit.

Not true.

Somebody needs to make you eat a pound of your own feces. What comes out of your mouth should go back in occasionally.

You're an idiot.

From your listing:
http://www.answers.com/topic/operating-system
Hey, fucktard... even a calculator qualifies. Hell, my watch qualifies! I even have an RC craft that allows a flight path to be PROGRAMMED into it. You're an absolute idiot!
My HD DVD player gets online and downloads and runs downloadable Java apps from the movie studios for the movie currently in the player.
So does the BluRay player.
Got clue? I'd say that you don't.
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:30:56 +1000, "Rod Speed"

Not at all. Perhaps you should re-read the definition.
VWWall wrote:

I remember having to check the continuity of the "programme" wires in each plane. Actual programming was performed by energizing (+to-, or, -to+) whilst strobing the matrix address.
can you guess *my* age ? or, how about just identifying the decade I performed this work (for an actual paycheck).
bonus points for correctly identifying the industry.....
Jim
Hello,
I did that once, one of my first jobs (development) was to make a mold so that the little cores could sit in so the young (13y) girls in Tiwan could thread them with a needle and wire.
They went to school in the afternoon and took money home to their parents. Better than prostitution.
I think I did some of the wiring methods to get the thing to spit out the data and the little germnanium transistors (we called them triodes) to energise them and the little amplifer to make the pulse ship shape. All the data had to be written back afterwards. about a month later I made myself redundant by inventing the ROM and the RAM in elemenary form. Later we worked on an optical store based on holography and another using Barium Titanate as a crystal memory read in and read out done optically.
Optical computers using hologram bolian logic was next on the list and we were well on the way to making androids when several staff were captured and their brain removed. Reaearch had to be abandoned there was a cetain problem adjusting to a machine with a mind that is concuios and sentient. But basically we've all got one inside our head and I don't like that either. My brain is only a bit of machinary so - well - why should a brain machine made of wood not be concious, sentient and have an intelligent mind? Well you've heard of "woodenhead" - thats me!
At one time we all had our souls in the heart.
Chris - perhaps it in my left ear.

Gave us:

We do not believe you.
No of course not. Mullards, New Road Mitcham 1963. That was after they removed my brain for the 3 rd time to make me more intelligent. However I spoke in sign language and could not read or write. I was at the same time fighting in the indo-china war. Its called time division multilexing and sometimes my system manger confused the personality in the right body. That what being ET means. I think I must have been in America as well with my wife working on project NASA (Apollo). My bodies don't all look the same. It is quite amusing when I split into two in sight of my freinds and do two things at once.
Chris.

----------------- My son, Chris!!! Found at last! (well, not quite- )
Werner Heisenberg

remove the X to answer
Gave us:

You're a friggin loon. Stop whacking off in front of guests.
Sorry, I was having fun with me brain.
http://www.chrisspages.co.uk
Have fun.

I think it might only be three years, if the world is still here.

On 24 Jul 2006 01:18:42 -0700, "54v_float"

You're 85, it was '54, and it was the predecessor to ARPA as the boss. (Whoever owned the ENIAC at the time).
John wrote:

Could be ! I remember when my PDP11 with RT11 got upgraded from 32K to 64K, I wondered what I'd do with all that extra space for my programs.
Toom
John wrote:

Could be ! I remember when my PDP11 with RT11 got upgraded from 32K to 64K, I wondered what I'd do with all that extra space for my programs.
Toom
Toom Tabard wrote:

I'm guessing you just wrote everything twice! 8)

For a programming class, I wrote a program in PDP11 assembler to play "The Game of Life." It ran in an emulation on a Dec-20. Did you ever see the game of life printed out on a teletype? That was fun!
BTW, reel-to-reel recorders are being used for long lasting backup. Nothing else does as well except maybe hieroglyphics ;-)
Al