OT: In 15 years, hard drives will seem as quaint as reel-to-reel tape recorders

I have a Nagra recorder, which I mainly use for taping my classical guitar performances. You can really achieve wonderful effects with this machine, including some tricks you may not have though possible prior to the era of Pro Tools and pitch correction. If you want details just ask.

TG

Reply to
Tommy Grand

Yah, made life a lot easier when that bloody long bootstrap in memory for magtape, floppy or MegaFile was overwritten once again after a system crash.

So Rodli, how many of you are in there.

For the teletype reader/punch, no doubt.

Uhuh. And how did the rest of you do it then. Mind control?

Nope, they aren't. You a rocket scientist or sumfin? The similarity is in the handywork that's involved in programming them.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra
Ï "John" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá news:8ZydnQUYtL5SBC snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Certainly not.My first contact with computers was with a commodore 64.The 5

1/4 floppy drive was considered hi tech.One of the most desirable gadgets for my friends was a diskette puncher, that would punch another hole in the 5 1/4 diskette and make both sides usable.A printer or a modem was something extremely exotic, nobody would have them, not even proffesionals.There were also the spectrums, the amstrads (what happened to Sir Clive Sinclair and Alan Sugar?).The amiga was the extreme computer then.Popular games were raid over moscow, impossible mission, ghostbusters and spy vs spy.Now I hear of people having in their computers 1,5 GB of RAM (why system memory is no more called RAM)?And the same in their digital cameras.I treat memory with respect.Nobody knows actually what the future will bring.Who would imagine in the 80s GBs, DVD R/W drives GHz processors and 3d cards with 128 MB of memory?

-- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering,freelance electrician

542nd mechanized infantry batallion dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
Reply to
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Sir Alan Sugar is very much in the UK media. A TV series "The Apprentice" has just run its second or third series on prime time UK TV, where a group of high flying executives compete for a 6 (or was it 7) figure salary job with Amstrad. One is elimited each week by Alan Sugar, who sets challenging tasks and tears the apprentices to shreds afterwards when he reviews how they did.

Amstrad make set top boxes, amongst other things.

I haven't heard anything of Clive Sinclair for a while.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had a c-64 with the 5 1/4 floppy drive. (still got it if anyone is interested.) I got around buying a disk hole puncher by using a regular single hole paper puncher. Just had to be careful about how deep towards the center that you went with the hole. Still got a shoe box full of the disks. Are these dinosaurs worth anything today??

Reply to
Skenny

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 03:50:43 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

You're an idiot. They ARE making it. The thing is that the arrays are so small they won't be used in the way Tommy states for a LONG time.

More likely, an optical cube that holds a few TeraBytes will replace the hard drive for more permanent writes and files.

They read entire multi-megabit pages in a single pass so they will actually be faster than hard drives as well. Hard drives will still have their place though, and little laptop drive external models will be out soon with the perpendicular write methodology hitting the factories now.

I have already made an audio/video real time DVR that a deck hand wears on his belt, and he records all deck hand traffic on the deck of a carrier. The wireless mikes, and lapel cameras are ours as well.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:17:19 -0000, "John" Gave us:

Ny old boss used to work with core memory cell arrays.

Cool stuff.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 03:48:57 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

It doesn't have a Disk Operating System, but even hard coded firmware can be considered an "OS". Particularly if it is the core of what makes the product or device function.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:44:40 -0500, "Skenny" Gave us:

Clue at one time... but now you are just another top posting Usenet retard.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Roy L. Fuchs wrote

Nope, just like calculators with firmware in rom dont have an OS either.

Separate matter entirely to what an OS is.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Roy L. Fuchs wrote

We'll see...

They made the previous magnetic memory systems too.

Separate matter entirey to WHETHER ALL OPERATING SYSTEMS WILL EVER BE STORED IN ANY OF THEM tho.

Its MUCH more likely that non magnetic flashram will be used if we do actually see much storage of OSs in other than hard drives.

What I said in different words.

I doubt that will happen either. The short story is that hard drives are plenty permanent enough and the vastly better $/GB makes real redundancy very economically viable.

Even just for backup, hard drives leave optical systems for dead and that isnt likely to change any time soon for various reasons.

The same mindless claim has been been made for decades now too.

And with more and more burning up hard drive space like there is no tomorrow with their PVRs etc, I cant see anything replacing hard drives any time soon for many applications.

Sure, flashroms have mostly taken over with digital still cameras, but they havent with video cameras and arent likely to either.

You also see the better ipods etc still using hard drives even now.

And there is plenty of that stuff commercially buyable too most obviously with ipods and video cameras.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Snake oil, helps to milk venture capitalists.

Reply to
Alexander Grigoriev

They SAY they are making it. Now, who wants a 4Mbit chip if a NAND flash holds a thousand as much per die?

Reply to
Alexander Grigoriev

Get on deeze nuts you ahole..

Reply to
Skenny

As alwalys, you hafta know the language. Even though I may have an illuminated manuscript written by a monk in the 12th century, I still can't read it!

And all I care about storage is for my lifetime so magnetic tape does it for me.

Al

Reply to
Al

Al wrote

Someone always does. Even over millennia.

Someone can tho.

You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant. What might or might not do it for you in spades.

And you might well have a problem when what you use to read the tapes is no longer available for what you use computer wise at a reasonable price. Priced 7 track PC cards lately ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not true. For example, until the Rosetta stone was discovered (1799) and later deciphered (1822, Champollion) ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics were not understandable, nor was Demotic Egyptian. As I understand it, there is still debate over the translations from hieroglyphs to current language. Heck, there are even different meanings to the same words in current language spoken in two different countries.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

ehsjr wrote

They are now tho.

Sure, but the bulk of the translation isnt in dispute.

And there are different meanings for some words even in the same country.

We have funky things called dictionarys that list those meanings.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Of course they'll be as quaint as reel-to-reel tape recorders. Nothing can beat that 8-track technology.

;-)

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:30:56 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

If the "firmware" is what makes it function as a calculator, it can be defined as and declared as being an OS.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs