Question about capacitors and diodes

Hello everyone, I had a couple questions about capacitors and diodes.

  1. Can a capacitor and a diode be used in series to store a charge? For example, if a diode is oriented such that current can only flow across it and store on a capacitor plate on the other side, and then the voltage source is removed, the capacitor will not be able to discharge in the reverse direction because of the diode, am I correct?

  1. How does a coupling capacitor work?

  2. If a zener diode has a current flow over it in its reverse bias direction, does it break permanently?

Thanks everyone!

Reply to
string_fire

for the first questions yes this is correct.but the circuit will be like this

----|>|-------------+-------

  • | ==

- |

-----------------------------

-this capacitor will charge to peak of the source Vp.with t=RC time, R almost "forward diode resistace" so it is almost very low time

2-coupling capacitor the one that used in filtering(high/low/band) or small signal circuits this prevent low frequency signal from pass(DC) cause it has high impedance to low frequency. Xc=1/wc but w =2pi* f which is frequency.
  1. for this question i didnt understand u.please explain more.how this current will flow??what is the datasheet say??

Amr

str> Hello everyone, I had a couple questions about capacitors and diodes. >

Reply to
Amr

This is the kind of question you should try by yourself first. I recommend the Radio Amateur's Handbbok although ANY INTRODUCTORY electronics book written within the past 30 years should have the answer.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

1) Yes 2) Blocks DC, passes AC 3) No, if current is within spec. The reverse direction current is how the thing "zens". :-)
Reply to
ehsjr