Re: Battery life effected by initial charge?

Hi John,

Please see Section 11.3 in the FAQ on

for a discussion about Depth-of-Discharge. Continuously undercharging a lead-acid battery will produce permanent lead sulfation that will eliminate some of the battery's capacity. You need to fully charge the battery to remove all of the lead sulfate. If you have the time, please see Sections 7.6, 14.12 and 16

Kindest regards,

BiLL.......

Does the initial charge in a new lead acid battery (automotive type) have >any effect on the battery's longevity? In other words if a new battery is >put into service without having a full charge, will it's potential lifespan >be shortened? I thought I read somewhere that this was proven to be a myth. >My understanding was that not only are these types of batteries fully >charged before they are sold, but they also do not have issues with memory >such as with NICad's. Has anyone else ran across any evidence that proves or >disproves? > >Thanx, > >John >
Reply to
Bill Darden