Latest threads in ⏚ Electrical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Non-contact AC current sense
I am looking for an inexpensive (
7
7

Emergency Backup Question
Would a 700 watt inverter be a good idea for running a gas furnace from car in an emergency? The furnace has a .25 hp motor and would only need this in the winter, although we have not had a problem...
1
1

Questions about 2 to 3 prong installations
I have an old house (about 60 years) and a few of my plugs are still the old 2 prong. I'm about to replace them with 3 prong outlets, and I have a question or three. What's a good and sure way to...
4
4

Re: 5 amp 3pin socket
Yes, it's still permitted to fit BS456 round pin socket outlets. They have to be shuttered when used in residential premises, but don't have to be shuttered otherwise. I have used the 2A ones as wall...

Light Emitting Resistor
Just found this in the Akron Beacon Journal (OHIO) Two questions: What is a light emitting resistor? Is it simular to a SED? ;-) *********************** Engineer MECHANICAL Engineer for a firm in NE...
3
3

Re: Grounding of Neutral at Service Entrance
Hello. My original posting was about the advantages of connecting the neutral to earth at the service entrance especially given the fact that the neutral is already grounded back at the utility...
4
4

Help, temp control manuals
Hello, has anyone got acces to a West/Gard 2068 or a West 3100 tempreture control manual. I`ve lost all the settings and need to know how to change a tolerance on the 2068 at min its only 4 degrees....

Re: Taxiway, runway lighting
The lights at the Taxiways and Runways are usually fed from CCR (constant current regulator). Typical setups are either three or five brightness steps. Depending on the load the maximum CCR size...
1
1

Re: The American electrical system
YMMV but Florida cows are 3 phase wye, grounded through the hooves.
2
2

Re: Why ground the neutral?
Cordless drills. That's why they still need to be insulated.
5
5

Re: Questions on PC power-save settings
30 minutes sounds like a good setting for computer/monitor to go into power saving mode. I have my PC on similar settings, and have had no problems with CPU and monitors going to "sleep" or...
1
1

Safe and cost effective generator connections to household wiring.
There are many cost effective ways to connect a generator that are safe although they may still be a technical violation of the electric code that is enforced in your area. In some recreational...
2
2

Re: Black & Decker grass strimmers (GL320) motors overheat fast
String trimmer motors make a decent cieling fan when run off a solar panel.
1
1

Re: Power Transformer Current
Just measure the voltage not the amperage. you are only supposed to measure amperage (current) when you have a load attached. Just attaching the multimeter across the transformer to measure current is...
31
31

Household Quartz Timer question
Hi all, Sorry if this is the wrong group, but I have read a simelar thread previously and thought I'd give it a shot. I live in a block of flats owned by the local council although I have bought my...