Best glue for Lego?

I don't know what kind of plastic Lego are made of. What I need to know is what solvent type glue would work the best.

--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:26:30 -0400, dr wrote:

So the plumbing glue should work?
--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com
the lego people use elmers white glue because some times you need to take them apart
if you use the abs solvent based glue it is not ever coming apart
Not that I've ever tried it on Lego but I think the plumbing glue works by partly disolving the two things it is sticking together. Won't look very nice and will make the parts not fit together as tidily and precisely as Lego does.
--
Cheers - John Mycroft
coryton_at_cobbsmill_dot_com
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:52:45 -0400, John Mycroft wrote:

I should have mentioned what I was gluing. I didn't like the ordinary looking USB thumbdrive so I decided to make a housing out of 1X2 Lego. It took some dremmeling and work with the needle files to get it inside but I did and decided to start gluing. I first tried Testors model glue. It didn't work in spite of the fact that ABS is mentioned on the label. So I asked about the plumbing glue.
I used it and it works pretty well, especially when you consider the small surface area involved. Sadly, the only transparent I could find was for PVC and I had to resort to black. To hide it, I just made sure that every joint has one black side. So the sequence is Yello, black, blue, black, yello, black, blue, thin black, thin transparent green.
It looks pretty good.
--
Mark Healey
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

I'm late to the discussion, but I wanted to say that's a great idea for the thumbdrive. Anyway, Eric Harshbarger (a non-Lego employed professional Lego builder, http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego/index.html ) has recommended Oatey glue (FAQ #3). I've purchased a tin to have around in case I need to glue lego, but all I've ever used it for is repairing other plastic toys.
It does melt the plastic a bit, so you might not want to use it on clear pieces, and you do want to use it sparingly.
Elijah ------ gets lots of toy repair jobs from the kids
Sacrilege! :)