Mindstorms RCX 1.0 transmission problem.

I decided to pull out the Mindstorms kit from the closet, but I can't find the CD. I'm trying to use bricxcc (and rcxcc, I have a copy of
spirit.ocx), but I'm running into problems. The brick seems to function correctly (the old programs work) and the brick is detected by Bricxcc but whenever I try to transmit anything, it freezes up for a few seconds and nothing happens.
Anyone help me?
--Alexei

To clarify, I'm using windows xp.

Check the 9 volt battery in the tower. If the green light flickers during your transmission, it may need replacing.
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:44:14 GMT, "Bob Fay"

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it appears that wasn't it. A few more details: the lcd on the brick never displays the "transmission indicator." In fact, the only indication that there's any communication is that the computer can sense whether or not the brick is on.
--Alexei

Have you tried switching the high and low range switch on the front of the tower? Try the brick at various distances from the tower. Is the brick transmitting data such as "battery Level"? How about the piano, any sounds? If the brick was stored for some time, what is the condition of its batteries? I am surprised is still has the firmware installed. Good luck!
--
Bob Fay

http://www.ozbricks.com/bobfay /
XP has been a problem for me. Windows 98 SE works fine. I've tried everything to get the XP to work. I cannot load the software, it 'locks-up' at the point where the tower 'loads' the RCX the first time during set-up. I am not happy.
RG