Need a little nudge

I want to get into a very narrow, small niche of Legos and I need some suggestions...
A week ago I saw this page where a couple guys build "Lego Crawlers" and
compete with each other. These creations appeal to me as an offroader, and I'd like to build a few variations of my own. I've watched the videos on the site and I can see most of the parts I'd been to get a start building my own crawlers; a 9v motor, some gears, a handful of technic parts, etc...
What would be the best way to go about getting these parts? Hit Bricklink and buy them individually? Buy a kit like the Mars Rover? Or should I just go whole hog and buy the Offroad kit 8466 (which I like anyway) and a 9v motor and never want for parts again?
Take a look and help me out, please! http://www.tommyjeep.com/hobbies/lego_crawlers/index.htm
td