Best Rated threads in ⚗ Material Sciences show all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Urethane outgassing
I am encapsulating LED circuitry in a PVC tube using a two-part, optically clear urethane adhesive. I am having a problem with the urethane outgassing during curing and bubbles permanently forming....
4
4

slip systems in BCT
Hi All, I am working on developing crystal plasticity model of martensitic steels undergoing plastic deformation. I would like to know if anybody could suggest me any source where I could get...

solder for UHV
I am working on a system under UHV at very low temperature. Now I need to solder thermocouple wires to feedthrough (i.e. two copper pins sticking inside from one fo the vacuum port. I want to solder...
8
8

Micro Etching and Macro Etching
What is the difference between Micro Etching and Macro Etching in context to microstructure study? i have a link discuss about Micro etch and macro etch? I am especially interested in Al Alloys....
6
6

Homemade Izod/Charpy impact machine
Has anyone built one of these from backyard/junkyard materials? Looking to test different species of timber, but would like to do it on the cheap "Mythbusters" style.
5
5

Material in a Wham-O Magic Window?
Back in the early 70's the Wham-O company made a toy called a Magic Window. It's basically an oval made of a clear plastic with two panes very close together filled with two different materials, one...
8
8

Features, Classifications and Applications of Fused Cast Refractories
Fused cast refractories are materials that are produced by melting the raw material of the desired composition and then casting molten refractories in molds. They are widely known for having high...

Refractoriness Under Load Of Refractory Materials
Refractoriness points to temperature at which the material softens. Refract oriness under load (RUL) is a measure of the deformation behavior of refrac tory ceramic products subjected to a constant...

The Difference Between an Alloy and an Amalgam - It's Thermoelectric!
The following statement was made by Professor Xu Wang of the University of Akron in response to a question regarding the relationship between the thermoelectric properties and the electromagnetic...
26
26

How airtight is PTFE?
Hello, Instead of a single O-ring, I'm planning on using a turned conical teflon seal glued to a steel shaft. The seal will push against a conical steel surface under high pressure. Considering the...
1
1

Turning acrylic/plexiglass rod on a lathe
Hello, I know this is not specifically metal related, but we have some acrylic rod that we are trying to machine using a lathe. The problem with acrylic is that it melts as the bit is cutting into it....
18
18

material that sheds water like RAIN-X?
I seek a material that sheds water really well. Transparent/translucent would be extra points, but it's not required. Is teflon the best? I think it's available as a foil.
10
10

what is stress strain invariants?
What does stress and strain Invariants mean? In simple terms I do unerstand that parameters that do not depend on cordinate system are called invariants. like principal stress and strains are...
2
2

ultrasonic pain inducer?
Hi all, Can anyone tell me, are the devices described on the following webpage genuinely effective or just bogus? Ultrasound Deterrents for Personal, Home and Property Protection
3
3

anodized aluminum for high vacuum?
Josh, See for example: Atlas sells aluminum UHV vacuum parts and chambers with with stainless steel flanges. Generally, I think you are correct about using stainless for UHV. But there are some...
2
2

Chemical composition of 10705BU
I would like to know the exact composition of the material 10705BU according the JIS
1
1

Making Slow Dissolving Tablets
I want to make a Slow Dissolving tablet from household ingredients or ingredients that are easy to get from a stroe or the internet. I Currently have a toilet bowl cleaner in powder form and i want to...

How to remove oil from impregnated sintered metal?
Hi group, I have an element made of sintered metal, it has open pores and is impregnated with oil (kind of light machine oil). Prior to chemical analysis I need to remove that oil from pores. I've...
3
3

asphalt tar roof shingles a good mulch???
What exactly is the chemical difference between asphalt and tar? Apparently there is alot of common language confusion between tar and asphalt. Most everyone who sees a black sticky substance calls it...
5
5

fiberglass insulation made in 1930; Museum of insulation???
I was reading about insulations and found out that fiberglass was first mass produced in 1930. Is that correct or is that just a gross guess of the first mass produced fiberglass. I was wondering if...
28
28