How to cut 3/4" dia. latex 'rod' cleanly?

I have a project that includes cutting 1/2" lengths from 3/4" OD x 1/8" ID black latex tubing. (These pieces will be rollers mounted on 1/8" aluminum rod.) I'm having trouble cutting clean, perpendicular edges with a utility knife, even though I wet the blade to make slicing easier.

Anyone have any hints, pointers to appropriate tools, etc? I have a band saw; what sort of blade might do this job?

Thanks!

David Hakala Denver, CO

Reply to
NoPoliticalCalls

Try freezing in dry ice before sawing.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Thanks!

Right after posting this question, a lightbulb came on.

I happen to have a drill chuck mounted on the shaft of a sewing machine motor. I use it for winding new fishing line onto my reels, for one thing.

I skewered a foot of latex tubing on a wooden dowel, chucked up one end and made a v-shaped support for the free end. Rev 'er up, apply lubricated utility knife, and voila' - perfect rollers! :-)

Reply to
NoPoliticalCalls