Ozone oxidation of nickel

I'm trying to make some tunnel junctions that require forming about 25 angstroms of NiO on an evaporated nickel surface, and then putting down
some more nickel on top. Currently I'm doing it in a very low power oxygen plasma in a separate tool, but I could get much better oxide if I could do it without breaking vacuum.
The evaporator has a rotating chuck, which makes it a bit difficult to fit a plasma plate inside, so a colleague of mine suggested doing the oxidation using low-pressure ozone, say 100 mT. Google doesn't appear to find anything very relevant, other than a 1997 paper on putting down NiO2 using molecular beams in a very low pressure ozone atmosphere.
Does anyone here have a reference on ozone oxidation of metal surfaces?
Thanks,
Phil Hobbs
Phil Hobbs wrote:

Try the patent literature.
http://uspto.gov

Here's one: J. Electrochem. Soc., 150, F110-F115 (2003). They use Zr, Hf, and Al, not Ni, and UV irradiate different pressures of oxygen. At 440 torr UV-irradiated oxygen, they could only achieve a maximum of a 24 angstrom oxide film. At 80 mtorr, less than 15 angstrom.
My first thought was that just exposing to a slight pressure of ozone sounds a lot less drastic than oxygen plasma treatment.
wrote: ...

Google does yield up such trifles as: http://src.wisc.edu/users/SRC_Technotes/TechNotes_2003/SRC-201.pdf http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/6452/17256/00795951.pdf?arnumbery5951 http://svep.epc.ub.uu.se/testbed/record.xml?lang=sv&id=oai_DiVA.org_uu-4307.xml ... out of the first 100 hits using just nickel ozone
Those references might have references...
David A. Smith