Surface Preparation for Metallographic Analysis

I was wondering if anyone in this group could point me in the direction of a resource that could tell me a bit about the factors that affect the surface
preparation of alloy samples for optical microscopy. For example, the type of polishing cloth, the force exerted on the sample during polishing, the type of lubrication, etc. Most preferable would be a book and author reference. Thanks.
Mark A
Mark Allen wrote:

goto library
Michael Dahms

Oh, so helpful!
Al
--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......

Al wrote:

You are wellcome!
Michael Dahms

Easily done! How about "Metallographic Polishing by Mechanical Methods" by L. E. Samuels, 4th edition, ASM International, 2003. Check the website at www.asm-intl.org, click on Bookstore and you will find a section on Metallography. You might want to start with the ASM Handbook (also known as Metals Handbook) volume on Metallography. Also check the web sites for equipment suppliers like Buehler, LECO, and Struers, and www.metallography.com
Pittsburgh Pete
DISCLAIMER
We don't believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Don't worry, be happy.

of a

surface
type
the
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

In article

The STRUERS web site is very helpful.
Depending on the requested quality of observations and the composition of your materials, you should also consider electropolishing. J.J.