Latest threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How many cfm can a typical hair dryer blow?
I think it's somewhere between 10 cubic feet per minute (cfm) and 100 cfm, but can anyone give me a more precise value? Anyone have a hair dryer manual, a link to specs, ??? Thanks, Michael
12
12

G.P. Blair's book, "Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines"
Does anyone know where I can obtain the errata sheet(s) for this book? There are some errors, typos, cut-and-paste blunders, etc., in Chapter 2 that make writing simulation code around the equations...
3
3

HP 11C
For many years I have been using an HP 11C scientific calculator. Although it still functions well, I would like to have some back up option. Unfortunately HP only offers RPN on its more expensive...
12
12

tilt angle on press brake.
We want to form a cone on apress brake. Has anyone any idea if we have to change the tilt angle. The deflection must be the same on both sides ( short upper circle - longer down circle) or different....
1
1

Impeller geometry
Is there a differential equation describing impeller surface geometry in an axial fan? Let us assume outer diameter, hub diameter, speed of rotation, flow rate, fluid density vorticity be taken as a...

A practical question
I have been entrusted to ship a certain ammount of botox from New York to Miami and need to keep it cool. My question is how much water ice should I use to keep the botox cool while it's in transit?...
2
2

Thin film lubricatio
Good day It has been about 35 years since my last lubrication and machine design class. I have been doing mainly heat transfer since. I was wondering what is the oil thickness required in a piston...

Re: Maximum Cycling Range for Max Fuel Efficiency & Money Savings
WooooHoooo 2 crank(shafts) communicate. This should be fun. Hey Spaceman, got to figure why electronic engine management and fuel metering (ECU / EFI) beats carburettors yet ? Graham
4
4

Re: $50 Device Doubles Mileage: Isn't It Another #$%^& Scam?
Some possibly reputable sources have suggested using a little electricity from the alternator to generate a little H2 and O2 (2H2O + electricity => 2H2 + O2) will in fact improve the combustion of...
37
37

Re: Energy from near space solar mirrors
It might be a good idea. 1. Could the balloons be easily positioned up there with no wind or asteroid problems? 2. Some shade would be welcome in Phoenix but in other places farmers may complain about...
1
1

chemical inside old pressure sensor?
I am looking at an old Pressure Sensor with a dial display (shows Psi & inch hg gauge) on one end and a membrane type transducer on the other end. On the display there is a label that says "Nr:4" I...
2
2

Load cells and accelerometers
Hi, I am not a mechanical engineer, and I got a bit confused about the terms "load cells" and "accelerometers": If I understand it correctly, a load cell is a force sensor that requires physical...
5
5

Determining Axle Load On Trailer Assembly
So here's the rundown. I work for a machinery moving company and we occasionally haul objects well in excess of 150 tons. We occasionally get asked what our axle loads will be and just recently found...
11
11

[ADV] :: GeoTools V9, a productivity tool for the AutoCAD Mechanical engineer
G E O T O O L S 9.03 C O M M A N D S S N A P S H O T ------------------------------------------------------------------ GeoTools is a productivity tool for AutoCAD. It works on AutoCAD versions...
1
1

Re: THE MIDDLE WAY
YOU ARE VIOLATING THE CHARTER OF THIS NEWSGROUP. APPARENTLY VIOLATING THE LAW IS THE MIDDLE WAY.