Latest threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How fast can an accelerator fire an object?
Saying it operated in the vacuum of space. is there a speed limit to how fast an electro-magnetic repulsion accelerator can launch an object? Naturally, there is the speed of light barrier, but I...
23
23

Microwave oven efficiency
How efficient is a microwave oven? Does the efficiency decline as the oven ages? Our 15-year old kitchen microwave appears to heat things slower than it did when new, so I did an experiment to see how...
7
7

carbon fibre i beam
HI, I hope this is the right area to post this question, if not I am sorry. I am looking to change the 100 year old wood beam in my basement with a new beam. However there is very little room in the...
4
4

size of steel
i want to make a tow dollie the size of which would be 8 feet from end to end that would lift 13ooo lbs with two beams running side by side i thought you could use two 4in tubes thank frank
1
1

help pls
pls im working on course work , play ground with speed limiting device, postion of bearing seatings,limit and fits required at the bearing seatings,size and shape of the centre support column and seal...

I'm crap at physics - help!
I have a large gear having a moment of inertia about it's axis of 0.5Kgm2. If I wanted to accelerate it from static to a rotational speed of 16 RPM in say, 2 seconds, what torque do I need to apply to...
3
3

Floating element in a spinning cylinder
Hi, Everything: I am not a mechanical engineer. But I am involved in designing a mechanical structrue that can accommodate a electronics device in a high spinning cylinder. Ideally we want the device...
9
9

Statistica Sinica January issue
Dear All, I am sending you the table of contents for the Jan 2008 issue of Statistica Sinica. In this issue, there are several discussions on Fygenson's paper "Modeling and predicting extrapolated...

Re - An atmospheric envelope for ground-based telescopes.
I discussed a method for surrounding large ground based telescopes with a vacuum shroud reaching to the stratosphere in a post to Newsgroups: sci.space.policy From: "Robert Clark" Date: 29 Apr 2005...
4
4

change in vicosity consumes energy?
if a lubricating oil has a low Viscosity Index, this indeicates that as the temperature rises, the viscosity decreases a (relatively) lot. When that occurs, has energy been consumed? If so, and we...
6
6

Hydrogen Storage
Is it possible/feasable to use the pressue of water of the ocean to store hydrogen in a cannister type system? The idea is to replace the expensive system of presurizing Hydrogen gas by conventional...
12
12

laminated hooks
I'm designing a laminated hook for use in foundry. I have bought the DIN 15404, but nothing is specified about the junction: how can I connect the plates? nails? my purchaser want a hole of 50 mm, and...
9
9

Developing Product Spec
Greetings: I am interested in gaining some backgound information and guidance on the development of product specifications -- more geared to determining a definition for "Product Specification"....
4
4

What's 'Oil Film Speed' ?
I got a analysis report on journal bearing. On report, there are 'Oil Film Speed' Actually, I don't understand what's that meaning? I guess 'Oil Film Speed' represents a speed of rotating oil in the...

Why shouldn't I dimension blind holes to drill tip on drawings?
We have been dimensioning our blind holes from the start surface to the drill point. This is being done at the request of our machine shop. I was told that the reason is, the cnc operators want be be...
8
8