Latest threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

torsional reaction in prismatic beam
I have an (isotropic, nothing fancy about it) beam of length L, fixed at ends A and B. At distance a from A, there is a torsional moment Mt. is the reacting torsional moment a A MtA = -Mt x (L-a) / L...
7
7

sigularity of the mass matrix
When analyzing trusses, one can compute the natural frequencies of the truss, using matrix methods, i.c. solve the eigenvalue problem associated with the construction. One needs to assemble the **mass...
5
5

Statistica Sinica newly-accepted articles (Nov. 2007)
Dear All, I am attaching a list of Statistica Sinica newly accepted articles. All accepted but yet to be published articles can be found at: click on Preprint Articles.) For those articles whose full-...

$250 Award - "Machine Shop Trade Secrets" Award
I thought members of the machinist community might be interested in hearing about the $250 "Machine Shop Trade Secrets" Award presented by ProShop Publishing ... are currently accepting user...

Recommendation for tap fit hole tolerance in 4140 pre-hard steel
Hi everyone, I would like to ask if anyone can please recommend a tap fit hole Min. & Max. tolerance for a 3/8" hardened steel dowel (.3751" Min to .3753" max OD) ? The pin will be tapped into 4140...
4
4

"Spot" re-anodizing
I have a anodized and painted part which I need to have work done on. It is part of a pressure vessel and the area around the connector o- rings are too rough. There is a fear that they may leak under...
4
4

3d beam element 12x12 consistent mass matrix
Can anyone show me the coefficients of the consistent mass matrix for a 3d beam element ? I found one in a book by C.T.F. Ross, but that one is not consistent with the acompanying code. So I am at a...
1
1

Photographing flow
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone may be able to help me. I am wanting to photograph the airflow over a turbine blade being tested in a wind tunnel, via the attachment of small cotton threads to its...
1
1

Off topic / Ignore
Have a nice day

urgent: adhesive expert
Hi, I was given a task to look for an adhesive which can withstand a very high temperature. I have some "ceramic adhesives "which might do the job, however our company is looking for some adhesive...
5
5

A Curve By Any Other Name
I''ve been working a Star Trek-type Vulcan harp, a project much harder than one would think. One thing, those curves make it extraordinarily difficult to clamp the individual pieces together as the...
1
1

Karman vortices and natural frequencies
I have a construction that might be sensitive to Karman vortex exitation. How far should the Karman vortex frequency (given by the Strouhal- formula (f.d) / v = 0.198 (1 - 19.7 / Re) )be away from the...
5
5

Recuperated Reciprocating Engines
Last spring a _Popular Mechanics_ type article proposed hyperbaric supercharging of small engines as an alternative to hybrids. When power was needed to scoot across an intersection the boost kicks in...

Wind Analysis As per NBCC-2005
Dear Members, Greetings of the day to all of you. I am Hiren Trivedi from Malaysia. Do anyone know, how to carry out Wind Calculation Manually as per NBCC-2005 ? (I.e Canadian Code for Wind Analysis)...

Scratch resistant panel finishing
I seem to remember that either door hardware or faucets sometimes are coated in some vacuum vapor deposit method to leave a very durable scratch resistant finish. I think that this technology may be...
3
3