Latest threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Multiscale Methods (Call for Submissions)
Dear all, I am posting this message to the list again. Please contact my co-editor Xiao-Li Meng for questions on this theme topic. With all the best, -- Michelle Liou, co-editor...

New Foundry Equipment Web site
Hello, We are pleased to announce our new Web site for Foundry Equipment. this site for your Foundry Equipment Sourcing and consultation. Thank you John Web master

Boeing 787; in what units has been designed?
Do you think that the ease of conversion between different systems of units now makes it irrelevant what units are used? Or should people strive to convert to SI? I teach a course in Product...
15
15

Harris equation for centrifugal force in ball bearings
Hello, Harris states in "Concepts of bearing technology" that the equation for centrifugal force (Fc) of a ball in a bearing is as follows: Fc=(pi^3 * rho / 10800 g) * D^3 n^2 d My problem is, that I...
1
1

Temperature readings inside copper pipe - Thermal transfer Question
I am building a temperature data logger for galvanized water tanks. They are about 8'L x 2'H x 3'W I am using a DS18B20 to record the temperature. I need a durable thermowell so I plan on using a 24"...
2
2

transmission of rotation inside water chamber
I've a question and hope someone could help me with I need to transmit some rotational motion provided from a rotational stage present in air inside a chamber filled with water. the chamber is around...
4
4

Pressure Differential Valve for Fail Safe Operation
Cheap 5/8" poly irrigation tubing costs 5 cents/foot but degrades in the sun and unexpectably rupture creating a mess. On solution would be to have venturis at both ends of the questionable tubing....
7
7

Can a helicoil from side "A" take a screw/bolt from side "B"?
[Hobby list deleted] A counterbored hole is not the natural home of a helicoil. They tend to have a drive wire which needs to be broken off at the surface. What you need here is a solid insert,...
4
4

Operating Temperature and junction temperature.
Hi all, I am working with thermal analysis of a PCB for the first time. I have some preliminary doubts regarding same. 1. What is difference between the operating temperature range and junction...
1
1

Looking for mechanical knowledge for puzzling torque question.
Can anyone comment regarding this situation? I have a wrench that pivots at the base, in other words the handles goes from the normal flat (typical common wrench) up to 90 degrees such that it...
2
2

carburetor!!!
Hi I just bought a Gravely 1974 Tractor and I realy need to clean the carb but I can't get the bowl off. I was wondering if there was a certain way to take it off.
1
1

Buttress threads
Is it possible that buttress threads are easier to untight because of vibration than standard threads? Thank you!
1
1

Plz Solve my problem...
i hve completed my degree. i.e BS(MATHEMATICS) But now i want to do any engineering degree in my future career as stated b4 i hve background in can i do any engineering degree as MPhil leading to...
5
5

Which is most accurate ?
I brought 3 new sets of brander digital caliper (150mm). When I use a 25 mm +/- 0 um 20 C length of micrometer standed bar for my verification on the caliper, the 3 sets of caliper give me 3 different...
4
4

Machining forces
hi, I need to theoretically calculate the turning forces, and hence the power required, involved in counterboring a plastic tube. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or example to explain this? [ a...
2
2