Latest threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How to size spindles for solar car
I'm working with a group of high school students to design and build a solar vehicle for a regional competition. The entire vehicle will weigh about 600 lbs, with the weight distributed to 4...
1
1

BEIEN company - crusher manufacturer
Hello, In some old prospect I find some interesting for me information about some machine - crusher used in coal mining. All information that I have already is the description of the figure (only in...

Silent Flight: PV Powered Airships
It's surprising there aren't more solar powered blimps for tours of canyons. The forest service could use them to count big horn sheep, etc. If the weather was fair, wouldn't you like to take a quiet...
2
2

Mechanics: Modeling, Experimentation and Computation
JOIN The group for Mechanics: Modeling, Experimentation and Computation

finite element software
I'm looking for an inexpensive finite element software package to do mostly simple stress analysis. I would like to have a program that could import a solid model, either from proe or solidworks, and...
2
2

convction coefficient of air inside a tube
Hi all, anyone knows of a source for calculating convection coefficient for a convection energy transfer between air inside a hot large metal tube ? Elie
1
1

novus ordo seculorum
Herby: A very fat vehicle. Piety: Demon. Sen-Nick: Smart bird down trip.

moments of inertia of a right-triangle
Hi, When deriving Ix and Iy for a triangle, I know the equation to use is, say for Ix Ix=int(y^2)dA and that i can express y in terms of x so y=f(x), but what do I need to change dA into to make it...
6
6

High Torque Actuator?
Greetings, I am a novice in ME and would like some advice. I am looking for a rotational actuator that can provide about 25kp-ft torque that is accurate to within 1degree. I need to be able to rotate...
7
7

project help
hi. i'm a third year mechanical engineering student. i want help with my final year project which i want to start from now. can anyone give me any ideas. it should be interesting and related to the...
2
2

sliprings submerged in liquid
Hi. I'm trying to design a set of sliprings for transferring power and signals. But they need to be fully submerged in a liquid, possibly an oil or alcohol - I have some freedom in selecting its...
11
11

Everything That Moves Is An Engine
Yesterday on NPR the acclaimed choreographer Merce Cunningham said that he considered all human movement a form of dance, "someone stepping up onto a curb" etc. He almost got it right. If it moves,...

memory effects in solids?
symmetric harnessed gyroscope accelerated to a given spinning frequency takes different time periods to stop, depending on the direction of previous spins. For repeated alternating, anticlockwise and...
5
5

Help for a 17 year old with limited english
I've got a question for the group. I'm a retired Tool & Die maker/Machinist/gearhead. My Brother is married to a Thai national who had two kids. The oldest boy (17) is without a doubt the best natural...
1
1

How to Design a Gas Refinery
i m a Mechanical Engineer. I want help what are the basic steps to design a gas refinery. its better that help me in sence of providing me PDF files or by web sites. Thanks every one who help me on...
10
10