Latest threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

please help in finding approx. values
Hello This is Manish Sharma from India. I am a POWER ENGINEER. Presently I am working in a 3x25mw waste heat recovery power plant in a major steel company. I am responsible to check the planned steam...
4
4

Re: Holes or Notches for fork lift tangs?
The hole is better for strength, but the notch is better for the forklift driver, since he can just drop the tips of the fork to the ground and slide them in, rather than stuff about trying to align...
5
5

Rel humidity / psychometrics question
Hello, all. I'm not an engr (though I had originally planned to become one!), and my Dad who was a ME has passed away now, so I don't know whom to ask this question. Can anyone point me to some SIMPLE...
2
2

compute FDS from PSD
Hi All, I'm working on a project that requires me to compute (in MATLAB) Fatigue Damage Spectrum for a band-limited random signal(200-400 Hz) from 1. The original Time Signal. 2. From The Power...

Weighing objects on multiple scales
I am trying to precisely weigh objects (100 lbs/45 kgs max., +/- 0.1 gram accuracy) on a wheeled platform. I do not have a single scale large enough to weigh the entire platform. Are there algorithms...
9
9

Finding the resultants of forces
There were a few questions about resultant of forces and moments actioning on a free body. I wrote a couple of javascript calculators which is doing just that. maybe some people would find them...

computing a wheel trajectory
Hello, I have a simple device : a vertical wheel bound to an horizontal bar. The bar always belongs to the plan of the wheel (the wheel is bounded to follow the bar direction). The movement of the...

Question about centrifugal force and Bernoulli's law.
What I want to do is maintain a gas at very high pressure and temperature for propulsion purposes. The problem is containing a gas at high pressure requires a thick walled tank, and the resulting mass...
7
7

Finite Element Method FEM/FEA - Virtual Community =>
Hello, I signal you the Italian Group of discussion and research of Finite Element Analysis FEA - Finite Element Method FEM and Computational Fluid Dynamics CFD for applications of civil and...

Who Else Wants To Know About The Line Command?
Hi, This is the first article of the article series "Who Else Wants To Know About the Line Command?" The series consists of five articles. The series consist of five articles. In the articles we will...

Looking for fluid piston stirling engine math
I've come up with what one of the guys on news: tells me is a fluid piston stirling cycle engine; and have put what I know so far (with drawings) on the web page at the link below. Can anyone provide...
8
8

Statics - calculation of force on a wall mouting
Hi Many years since I had some classes in physics regarding forces and torque. I have a sun-shield I have to mount on a wall, but I would like to be able to calculate the forces on the mount on the...
3
3

Cappilarity tube
Hello, I am looking for some thin cappilarity tubes in stainless steel, with a small diameter (less than 0.005") in order to carry out some combustion experiment at very low diameter. I was looking on...
5
5

Repairing cracked polyethylene
Does anyone know what adhesive/sealant can be used to seal a crack in polyethelene plastic bottle? It's the washer fluid bottle in my Toyota. I heard that it can'be done - true? JaKe Seattle
6
6

drum size versus line size
I've got an old winch (10 ton) that has a 6.5" diameter drum. Does anyone know where I can find a chart to determine the largest size of wire rope I should install on this drum size.
7
7