Best Rated threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

State ofthe Art Novel InFlow Tech 1-Gearturbine Rotary Turbo Project Development
State of the Art - Novel InFlow Tech - Featured Project Development; 1-GEARTURBINE PROJECT Rotary-Turbo-InFlow Tech Atypical InFlow Thermodynamic Technology Proposal Submission Novel Fueled Motor...

Windows Phone applications for engineeers
There are not very many 'well done' applications for engineers in the Windows Phone Marketplace. One of the best is "MDCE - Mechanical Design Project Cost Estimation" even the user interface is a...

abaqus' bouncing rubber ball
how do u draw a bouncing rubber ball in abaqus assuming E=2e09 and possion ratio of .3? and time being 30 sec. please try it on abaqus first and tell me how after u trial is successful. i couldn't...
1
1

FE-Sizer Update - Release 3.38.0
Do you perform, maintain, or review/check orifice calculations for your production plant's orifice flow meters or for process plant instrumentation design engineering for your engineering firm? Then...

carbon fibre i beam
HI, I hope this is the right area to post this question, if not I am sorry. I am looking to change the 100 year old wood beam in my basement with a new beam. However there is very little room in the...
4
4

Sources of information about air pollution dispersion modeling
For those of you who may be interested in the dispersion modeling of airborne pollution, here are some good sources of information: BOOKS: (1) Beychok, Milton R. (2005). Fundamentals of Stack Gas...

FEMAP API Get Property From Library
Hi I am writing a program in VBA (excel) to control FEMAP to create geometry, mesh the geometry and run a simple analysis of said structure. I have saved a property in the FEMAP properties library and...

how to build own pitot-tube apparatus for measuring velocity of wind in a wind tunnel
plz help me find it
3
3

Press Fit Pulley - Steel or Aluminum?
Given a power steering pulley that is press fit onto the end of the pump shaft and retained only by the press fit. Given that a power steering pulley would need to be removed for when/if the pump has...
6
6

Area Moment Of Inertia for an Inclined Beam
Hi, Can anyone help me with an area moment of inertia problem that i have? I'm idealising a cross-section of an aircraft longeron and one of the flange of the longeron is inclined at at an angle....
1
1

swingset design
I'm planning to build a post and beam swingset out of 6x6 pressure treated lumber. I want to have 2 swings and one tire swing. The top beam will be 16 feet, the posts 12 footers probably 4 feet into...
4
4

Length of time to weld a pipe joint?
I was wondering if someone could help me out in finding the actual time that is figured in making weld joints in pipe fabrication?
5
5

4340 vs 4130 for drive shafts
I work as a Lab Mgr in a large university, formerly an ME doing fossil-fueled combustion stuff. Our undergrad student chapter of SAE builds a small formula-type racer and competes with other chapters....
2
2

AISI 1050 Steel for Injection Molding
Is AISI 1050 steel a good choice for making custom injection molds? I have a client that received a very low quote for custom injection molds from a Chinese source. I'm skeptical, so I asked a variety...
6
6

Notch sensitivity in a threaded fastener
I'm doing a fatigue analysis on a threaded fastener. It's 1-14UNS-3B threaded, and experiencing an axial force and a bending moment. I'm using 2.8 for the stress concentration (it's a higher grade...
4
4

Interpreting thickness tolerances of sheets acc. to ASTM A 568
Hello, we are in doubt how to interprete thickness tolerances given in ASTM A 568/A 568M - 03. In TABLE 19 (Standard Thickness Tolerances for Cold-Rolled Sheet ...) there are defined "Thickness...

CTOD or COD
Hi Friends, Any body working on Crack Opening Displacement or Crack Tip Opening Displacement. Please let me know i am want more information on this topic specifically, suggetions are welcome. thanks...
3
3

Is using dimple washers to 'rectify' an enlarged fastener hole acceptable for aircraft fairings?
Hi! I'm new to the group so please bear with me if i'm asking a stoopid question...anyway, i have to 'rectify' an enlarge fastener hole on this aircraft fairing in a non-aerodynamic critical area of...
5
5

"The Automat"
I have a wooden case with a blue sliding cover, with three racks of small mechanical components in it. The only markings on the cover are a cam wheel and the text "The Automat, Made in Switzerland". I...
2
2

best energy to mass ratio for a spring
Hi, Which type of spring (compression, torsion, hairspring etc) would give me the highest energy to mass ratio? i.e. which one can store the most energy compared to how much it weighs? Lets assume...
9
9